In the affair; in the matter of. This is the usual method of entitling a judicial proceeding in which there are not adversary parties, but merely some res concerning which judicial action is to be taken, such as a bankrupt’s estate, an estate in the probate court, a proposed public highway, etc. It is also sometimes used as a designation of a proceeding where one party makes an application on his own behalf,but such proceedings are more usually entitled “Ex parte In re communi neminem dominorum jure facere quicquam, invito altero, posse. One co-proprietor can exercise no authority over the common property against the will of the other. Dig. 10, 3, 28.In re communi potior est conditio pro- hibentis. In a partnership the condition of one who forbids is the more favorable.In re dubia, benigniorem interpreta- tionem sequi, non minus justius est quamtutius. In a doubtful matter, to follow the more liberal interpretation is not less the juster than the safer course. Dig. 50, 17, 192, 1.In re dubia, magisinficiatio quam af- flrmatio intelligenda. In a doubtful matter, the denial or negative is to be understood, [or regarded,] rather than the affirmative. Godb. 37.In re lupanari, testes lnpanares ad- mittentnr. In a matter concerning a brothel,prostitutes are admitted as witnesses. Van Epps v. Van Epps, 6 Barb. (N. Y.) 320, 324.In re pari potiorem cansam esse pro- bibentis constat. In a thing equally shared [byseveral] it is clear that the party refusing [to permit the use of it] has the better cause.Dig. 10, 3, 28. A maxim applied to partnerships, where one partner has a right to withhold his assent to the acts of his copartner. 3 Kent, Comm. 45.In re propria iniquum admodnm est alicni licentiam tribuere sententiae. It is extremely unjust that any one should be judge in his own cause.In rebus manifestis, errat qui author- itates legnm allegat; quia perspicue vera nonsunt probanda. In clear cases, he mistakes who cites legal authorities; for obvious truths are not to be proved. 5 Coke, (STer. Applied to cases too plain to require the support of authority; “because,” says the report, “he who endeavors to prove them obscures them.”In rebus qua; sunt favorabilia animae, quamvis sunt damnosa rebus, fiat ali- quandoextrnsio statuti. 10 Coke, 101. In things that are favorable to the spirit, though injurious to things, an extension of a statute should sometimes be made.
What is IN RE?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Is Giuliani Facing Being Disbarred?
- Biden’s Newly-Threatened Impeachment… Wait, What?
- Trump Refusing To Pay Lawyer Rudy Giuliani
- Trump Is – Officially – The First President To Be Impeached Twice
- Trump Plans To Run 2024, But Can He Pardon Himself?
- Will Trump Get Indicted Or Impeached (Round 2)
- What Happened At Capitol Hill: A Blow-By-Blow
- Why People Marched On Capitol Hill: A Blow-By-Blow
- Suing Your Landlord: How, When, Why, & Should You Bother?
- Drug Decriminalization Laws Setup For Rehaul Throughout US
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way To Run A Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?