1. In English law. The election of students to the degree of barrister at law, hence the ceremony or epoch of election, and the number of persons elected. 2. In conveyancing. A visible natural object or landmark designated In a patent, entry. grant, or other conveyance of lands, as a limit or boundary to the land described with which the points of surveying must cor respond. Also the courses and distances designated. King v. Watkins (C. C.) 98 Fed. 922; Stockton v. Morris, 39 W. Va. 432, 19 S. E. 531. 3. In corporation law. A demand made by the directors of a stock company upon the persons who have subscribed for shares, requiring a certain portion or installment of the amount subscribed to be paid in. The word, in this sense, in synonymous with “assessment,” (q. v.) A call is an assessment on shares of stock, usually for uupaid installments of the subscription thereto. The word is said to be capable of three meanings: (1) The resolution of the directors to levy the assessment; (2) its notification to the persons liable to pay; (3) the time when it becomes payable. Railway Co. v. Mitchell, 4 Exch. 543; Hatch v. Dana, 101 U. S. 205, 25 L. Ed. 8S5; Railroad Co. v. Spreckles, 05 Cal. 193, 3 Pac. 001, 802; Stewart v. Pub. Co., 1 Wash. St. 521, 20 Pac. 605. 4. In the language of the stock exchange, a “call” is an option to claim stock at a fixed price on a certain day. White v. Treat (C. C.) 100 Fed. 290; Lumber Co. v. Whitebreast Coal Co., 160 111. 85, 43 N. E. 774, 31 L R. A. 529.
What is CALL, N?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way To Run A Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?