1. To lay hold of; to gain or receive into possession; to seize; to deprive one of the possession of; to assume ownership. Thus, it is a constitutional provision that a man’s property shall not be taken for public uses without just compensation. Ev- ansville & C. R. Co. v. Dick, 9 Ind. 433. 2. To obtain or assume possession of a chattel unlawfully, and without the owner’s consent; to appropriate things to one’s own use with felonious intent. Thus, an actual taking is essential to constitute larceny. 4 Bl. Comm. 430. 3. To seize or apprehend a person; to arrest the body of a person by virtue of lawful process. Thus, a capias commands the officer to take the body of the defendant 4. To acquire the title to an estate; to receive an estate in lands from another per- son by virtue of some species of title. Thus, one is said to “take by purchase,” “take by descent,” “take a life-interest under the devise,” etc. 5. To receive the verdict of a jury; to superintend the delivery of a verdict; to hold a court. The commission of assize in England empowers the judges to take the assizes; that is, according to its ancient meaning, to take the verdict of a peculiar species of jury called an “assize;” but, in its present meaning, “to hold the assizes.” 3 Bl. Comm. 59, 185.
What is TAKE?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Section 42 Housing
- Types of License Classes
- What Can You Do If a Judge is Unfair?
- How to Sue an Apartment Complex
- Is Giuliani Facing Being Disbarred?
- Biden’s Newly-Threatened Impeachment… Wait, What?
- Trump Refusing To Pay Lawyer Rudy Giuliani
- Trump Is – Officially – The First President To Be Impeached Twice
- Trump Plans To Run 2024, But Can He Pardon Himself?
- Will Trump Get Indicted Or Impeached (Round 2)
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way To Run A Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?