This is a species of tenure, where land is held of another in perpetuity ata yearly rent, without fealty, homage, or other services than such as are specially comprisedin the feoffment. It corresponds very nearly to the “emphyteusis” of the Roman law.Fee-farm is where an estate in fee is granted subject to a rent in fee of at least onefourthof the value of the lands at the time of its reservation. Such rent appears to becalled “fee-farm” because a grant of lands reserving so considerable a rent is indeedonly letting lands to farm in fee-simple, instead of the usual method of life or years. 2Bl. Comm. 43; 1 Steph. Comm. 676.Fee-farms are lands held in fee to render for them annually the true value, or moreor less; so called because a farm rent is reserved upon a grant in fee. Such estates areestates of inheritance. They are classed among estates in fee-simple. No reversionaryinterest remains in the lessor, and they are therefore subject to the operation of thelegal principles which forbid restraints upon alienation in all cases where no feudalrelation exists between grantor and grantee. De Peyster v. Michael, 6 N. Y. 497, 57 Am.Dec. 470.
What is FEE-FARM?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Section 42 Housing
- Types of License Classes
- What Can You Do If a Judge is Unfair?
- How to Sue an Apartment Complex
- Is Giuliani Facing Being Disbarred?
- Biden’s Newly-Threatened Impeachment… Wait, What?
- Trump Refusing To Pay Lawyer Rudy Giuliani
- Trump Is – Officially – The First President To Be Impeached Twice
- Trump Plans To Run 2024, But Can He Pardon Himself?
- Will Trump Get Indicted Or Impeached (Round 2)
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way To Run A Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?