This is a species of tenure, where land is held of another in perpetuity ata yearly rent, without fealty, homage, or other services than such as are specially comprisedin the feoffment. It corresponds very nearly to the “emphyteusis” of the Roman law.Fee-farm is where an estate in fee is granted subject to a rent in fee of at least onefourthof the value of the lands at the time of its reservation. Such rent appears to becalled “fee-farm” because a grant of lands reserving so considerable a rent is indeedonly letting lands to farm in fee-simple, instead of the usual method of life or years. 2Bl. Comm. 43; 1 Steph. Comm. 676.Fee-farms are lands held in fee to render for them annually the true value, or moreor less; so called because a farm rent is reserved upon a grant in fee. Such estates areestates of inheritance. They are classed among estates in fee-simple. No reversionaryinterest remains in the lessor, and they are therefore subject to the operation of thelegal principles which forbid restraints upon alienation in all cases where no feudalrelation exists between grantor and grantee. De Peyster v. Michael, 6 N. Y. 497, 57 Am.Dec. 470.
What is FEE-FARM?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Suing Your Landlord: How, When, Why, & Should You Bother?
- Drug Decriminalization Laws Setup For Rehaul Throughout US
- Why Trump’s Lawsuit Tactics Won’t Turn The Election
- What Is Impeachment & How Does It Work, Exactly?
- War Drafts – What You Should Know About the Return of the Draft
- Fake News: History, Laws, & Is It Going To Ruin The Election… Again?
- Privacy Laws: Why It Matters, What To Do, & Important FAQs
- Deportation: Human Rights, FAQ, & What To Do
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA): Limits, Expenses & FAQ
- Census 2020: Everything You Need To Know Before You Say No
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?