This is a species of tenure, where land is held of another in perpetuity ata yearly rent, without fealty, homage, or other services than such as are specially comprisedin the feoffment. It corresponds very nearly to the “emphyteusis” of the Roman law.Fee-farm is where an estate in fee is granted subject to a rent in fee of at least onefourthof the value of the lands at the time of its reservation. Such rent appears to becalled “fee-farm” because a grant of lands reserving so considerable a rent is indeedonly letting lands to farm in fee-simple, instead of the usual method of life or years. 2Bl. Comm. 43; 1 Steph. Comm. 676.Fee-farms are lands held in fee to render for them annually the true value, or moreor less; so called because a farm rent is reserved upon a grant in fee. Such estates areestates of inheritance. They are classed among estates in fee-simple. No reversionaryinterest remains in the lessor, and they are therefore subject to the operation of thelegal principles which forbid restraints upon alienation in all cases where no feudalrelation exists between grantor and grantee. De Peyster v. Michael, 6 N. Y. 497, 57 Am.Dec. 470.
What is FEE-FARM?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Restitution Law – What it is, How to Avoid it, and Tips on Asking for It
- Should I Freeze My Credit?
- Living Will – The Pros & Cons You Need to Know
- What does it mean to be acquitted?
- Forming an LLC in Missouri
- Double Jeopardy Law
- How To Take Someone To Small Claims Court
- What is Jury Nullification?
- Guide to Court Ordered Mediation
- Workplace Retaliation – What It Is And How To Handle It
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- What Can You Do At 18 Legally?
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way To Run A Free Arrest Warrant Check