In English law. The chief law officer of the realm, being created by letters patent, whose office is to exhibit informations and prosecute for the crown iu matters criminal, and to file bills in the exchequer in any matter concerning the king’s revenue. State v. Cunningham, 83 Wis. 90, 53 N. W. 35, 17 L. R. A. 145, 35 Am. St. Rep. 27. In American law. The attorney general of the United States is the head of the department of justice, appointed by the president, and a member of the cabinet. He appears in behalf of the government in all cases iu the supreme court in which it is interested, and gives his legal advice to the president and heads of departments upon questions submitted to him. In each state also there is an attorney general, or similar officer, who appears for the people, as iu England the attorney general appears for the crown. State v. District Court, 22 Mont. 25, 55 Pac. 910; People v. Kramer, 33 Misc. Rep. 209, 68 N. Y. Supp. 383.
What is ATTORNEY GENERAL?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way To Run A Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?