v. 1. To possess in virtue of a lawful title; as In the expression, common ingrants, “to have and to hold,” or in that applied to notes, “the owner and holder.”Thompson v. Samlford. 13 Ga. 241; Bank of Michigan v. Xiles, 1 Doug. (Mich.) 407. 41Am. Dec. 575; Stansbury v. Ilubner, 73 Md. 22S, 20 Atl. 904, 11 L. R. A. 204, 25 Am.St. Rep. 584.2. To be the grantee or tenant of another; to take or have an estate from another.Properly, to have an estate on condition of paying rent, or performing service.3. To adjudge or decide, spoken of a court, particularly to declare the conclusion oflaw reached by the court as to the legal effect of the facts disclosed.4. To maintain or sustain; to be under the necessity or duty of sustaining or proving; as when it is said that a party “holds the atlirmative” or negative of an issue in a cause.5. To bind or obligate; to restrain or constrain ; to keep in custody or under an obligation;as in the phrases “hold to bail.” “hold for court,” “held and firmly bound,” etc.6. To administer; to conduct or preside at; to convoke, open, and direct the operationsof; as to hold a court, hold pleas, etc. Smith v. People, 47 N. Y. 334.7. To prosecute; to direct and bring about officially; to conduct according to law; asto hold an election.8. To possess; to occupy; to be in possession and administration of; as to holdoffice.
What is HOLD?
Enter your email address to stay current on legal news and receive special offers
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Martial Law: Everything You Need To Know In 2020
- W-9s: What It Is, Who They’re For, & How To Fill It Out
- Marijuana: Recreational, Grow, & Medical Laws By State 2020
- Economic Recession VS Depression: Similarities & Differences
- Brexit Explained For Those Who Don’t Live In The UK
- Imperialism Definition, Laws, & History: From Rome To Now
- Capitalism, Socialism, & Communism Explained In Plain English
- What Is A Government Shutdown & Who Does It Affect?
- Is It A Monopoly? Everything You Ever Wanted To Know
- Breach Of Contract: What It Is, Types, Examples, & Resolving Them
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Look Up My Court Date Online