1. Just; proper; regular; lawful; sufficient; as in the phrases “due care,” “due process of law,” “due notice.”2. Owing; payable; justly owed. That which one contracts to pay or perform to another; that which law or justice requires to be paid or done.3. Owed, or owing, as distinguished from payable. A debt is often said to be due from a person where he Is the party owing it, or primarily bound to pay, whether the timefor payment has or has not arrived.4. Payable. A bill or note is commonly said to be due when the time for payment ofit has arrived.The word “due” always imports a fixed and settled obligation or liability, but withreference to the time for its payment there is considerable ambiguity in the use of theterm, as will appear from the foregoing definitions, the precise signification beingdetermined in each case from the context. It may mean that the debt or claim inquestion is now (presently or immediately) matured and enforceable, or that it maturedat some time in the past and yet remains unsatisfied, or that it is fixed and certain butthe day appointed for its payment has not yet arrived. But commonly, and in theabsence of any qualifying expressions, the word “due” is restricted to the first of thesemeanings, the second being expressed by the term “overdue,” and the third by theword “payable.” See Feeser v. Feeser, 03 Md. 716, 50 Atl. 406; Ames v. Ames, 128Mass. 277; Van Hook v. Walton, 28 Tex. 75; Leggett v. Bank, 24 N. Y. 286; Scudder v.Scudder. 10 N. J. Law, 345; Barnes v. Arnold, 45 App. Div. 314, 61 N. Y. Supp. 85;Yocum v. Allen, 58 Ohio St. 280, 50 N. E. 909; Gies v. Becht- ner, 12 Minn. 284 (Gil.1S3) ; Marstiller v. Ward, 52 W. Va. 74, 43 S. E. 178.
What is DUE?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- How to Fill Out Form W-9
- Section 42 Housing
- Types of License Classes
- What Can You Do If a Judge is Unfair?
- How to Sue an Apartment Complex
- Is Giuliani Facing Being Disbarred?
- Biden’s Newly-Threatened Impeachment… Wait, What?
- Trump Refusing To Pay Lawyer Rudy Giuliani
- Trump Is – Officially – The First President To Be Impeached Twice
- Trump Plans To Run 2024, But Can He Pardon Himself?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way To Run A Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?