A collective body of persons who live in one house and under one head or management. .Tahoe v. Jarboe, 100 Mo. App. 459, 79 S. W. 1162; Dodge v. Boston &T. R. Corp., 154 Mass. 299, 28 N. E. 243, 13 L. R. A. 318; Tyson v. Reynolds, 52 Iowa,431, 3 N. W. 469.A family comprises a father, mother, and children. In a wider sense, it may include domestic servants; all who live in one house under one head. In a still broader sense, a group of blood-relatives; all the relations who descend from a common ancestor, or who spring from a common root. See Civil Code La. art. 3522, no. 16; 9 Ves. 323.A husband and wife living together may constitute a “family,” within the meaning of that word as used in a homestead law. Miller v. Finegan, 26 Fla. 29, 7 South. 140, 6 L.R. A. 813.”Family,” in its origin, meant “servants;” but, in its more modern and comprehensive meaning, it signifies a collective body of persons living together in one house, or within the curtilage, in legal phrase. Wilson v. Cochran, 31 Tex. 677. 98 Am. Dec. 553.”Family” may mean children, wife and children, blood-relatives, or the members of the domestic circle, according to the connection in which the word is used. Spencer v.Spencer, 11 Paige (N. Y.) 159.”Family,” in popular acceptation, includes parents, children, and servants.
What is FAMILY?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Restitution Law – What it is, How to Avoid it, and Tips on Asking for It
- Should I Freeze My Credit?
- Living Will – The Pros & Cons You Need to Know
- What does it mean to be acquitted?
- Forming an LLC in Missouri
- Double Jeopardy Law
- How To Take Someone To Small Claims Court
- What is Jury Nullification?
- Guide to Court Ordered Mediation
- Workplace Retaliation – What It Is And How To Handle It
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- What Can You Do At 18 Legally?
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way To Run A Free Arrest Warrant Check