To bring one to a trial and examination, or to ascertain the truth or the quality or fitness of a thing. Something hy which to ascertain the truth respecting another thing; a criterion, gauge, standard, or norm. In public law, an inquiry or examination addressed to a person appointed or elected to a public office, to ascertain his qualifications therefor, hut particularly a scrutiny of his political, religious, or social views, or his attitude of past and present loyalty or dis- loyalty to the government under which he is to act. See Attorney General v. Detroit Common Council, OS Mich. 213, 24 N. W. 887, 55 Am. Rep. 075; People v. Hoffman, 110 111. 587. 5 N. E. 500, 50 Am. Rep. 703; Rogers v. Buffalo, 51 Hun, 037, 3 N. Y. Supp. 074.
What is TEST?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- War Drafts – What You Should Know About the Return of the Draft
- Fake News: History, Laws, & Is It Going To Ruin The Election… Again?
- Privacy Laws: Why It Matters, What To Do, & Important FAQs
- Deportation: Human Rights, FAQ, & What To Do
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA): Limits, Expenses & FAQ
- Census 2020: Everything You Need To Know Before You Say No
- What To Expect With An IRA: Traditional, Roth, SEP, & SIMPLE
- Outdated & Weird Laws You Can Still Be Charged With
- 401(K) Types, Loans, Contribution Limits, & Benefits
- Right To Know Law: Everything You Need To Know
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?