In American land law. The designation of the boundaries of a particular piece of land, either upon record or on the land itself. Mosby v. Carlaud, 1 Bibb. (Ky.) 84. The finding and marking out the bounds of a particular tract of land, upon the land itself, in conformity to a certain description contained iu an entry, grant, map, etc.; such description consisting in what are termed “locative calls.” Cunningham v. Browning, 1 Bland (Md.) 329. In mining law. The act of appropriating a “mining claim” (parcel of land containing precious metal in its soil or rock) according to certain established rules. It usually con- sists in placing on the ground, in a conspicuous position, a notice setting forth the name of the locator, the fact that it is thus taken or located, with the requisite description of the extent and boundaries of the parcel. St. Louis Smelting, etc., Co. v. Kemp, 104 U. S. 649, 26 L. Ed. 875. In a secondary sense, the mining claim covered by a single act of appropriation or location. Id. In Scotch law. A contract by which the temporary use of a subject, or the work or service of a person, is given for an ascertained hire. 1 Bell, Comm. 255.
What is LOCATION?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- How To Get an EIN Number
- What is a Credit Freeze?
- The 14th Amendment Explained
- What is the Security Exchange Commission?
- Restitution Law – What it is, How to Avoid it, and Tips on Asking for It
- Should I Freeze My Credit?
- Living Will – The Pros & Cons You Need to Know
- What does it mean to be acquitted?
- Forming an LLC in Missouri
- Double Jeopardy Law
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- What Can You Do At 18 Legally?
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Why Do Policemen Touch Your Tail Light When They Pull You Over?