In the law of evidence. Purpose or intention, combined with plan, or implyinga plan in the mind. Burrill, Circ. Ev. 331; State v. Grant, 80 Iowa, 210, 53 N. W.120; Ernest v. State, 20 Fla. 3S8; Hogan v. State, 3G Wis. 226.As a term of art, the giving of a visible form to the conceptions of the mind, or invention.Binns v. Woodruff, 4 Wash. C. C. 48, Fed. Cas. No. 1,424.In patent law. The drawing or depiction of an original plan or conception for a novelpattern, model, shape, or configuration, to be used in the manufacturing or textile artsor the fine arts, aud chiefly of a decorative or ornamental character. “Design patents”are contrasted with “utility patents,” but equally involve the exercise of the inventive ororiginative faculty. Gorliam Co. v. White, 14 Wall. 524, 20 L. Ed. 731; Manufacturing Co.v. Odell (D. C.) 18 Fed. 321; Binns v. Woodruff, 3 Fed. Cas. 424; Henderson v. Tompkins(C. C.) 60 Fed. 758.”Design, in the view of the patent law, is that characteristic of a physical substancewhich, by means of lines, images, configuration, and the like, taken as a whole, makesan impression. through the eye, upon the mind of the observer. The essence of adesign resides, not in the elements individually, nor in their method of arrangement,but in the tout ensemble
What is DESIGN?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- What is Racketeering?
- How To Get an EIN Number
- What is a Credit Freeze?
- The 14th Amendment Explained
- What is the Security Exchange Commission?
- Restitution Law – What it is, How to Avoid it, and Tips on Asking for It
- Should I Freeze My Credit?
- Living Will – The Pros & Cons You Need to Know
- What does it mean to be acquitted?
- Forming an LLC in Missouri
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- What Can You Do At 18 Legally?
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Why Do Policemen Touch Your Tail Light When They Pull You Over?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?