This word “is from the French, but has become somewhat naturalized in our language. Strictly and etymologically, it means ‘a person employed,’ but, in practice in the French language, it ordinarily is used to signify a person in some official employment, and as generally used with us, though perhaps not confined to any official employment, It Is understood to mean some permanent employment or position.”The word is more extensive than “clerk” or “officer.” It signifies any one in place, or having charge or using a function, as well as one in office. See Ritter v. State, 111 Ind.324, 12 N. E. 501; Palmer v. Van Santvoord, 153 N. Y. 612, 47 N. E. 915, 38 L. R. A.402; Prick Co. v. Norfolk & O. V. R. Co., 86 Fed. 738, 32 C. C. A. 31; People v. Board of Police, 75 N. Y. 38; Finance Co v. Charleston, 0. & C. R. Co. (C. C.) 52 Fed. 527; State v. Sarlls, 135 Ind. 195, 34 N. E. 1129; Hopkins v. Cromwell, 89 App. Div. 481, 85 N. Y.Supp. S39.
What is EMPLOYEE?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA): Limits, Expenses & FAQ
- Census 2020: Everything You Need To Know Before You Say No
- What To Expect With An IRA: Traditional, Roth, SEP, & SIMPLE
- Outdated & Weird Laws You Can Still Be Charged With
- 401(K) Types, Loans, Contribution Limits, & Benefits
- Right To Know Law: Everything You Need To Know
- FAQ About The Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA)
- W-4: What It Is, Who They’re For, & How To Fill It Out
- Martial Law: Everything You Need To Know In 2020
- W-9s: What It Is, Who They’re For, & How To Fill It Out
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Look Up My Court Date Online