1. The ability of a business man to borrow money, or obtain goods on time, In consequence of the favorable opinion held by the community, or by the particular lender, as to his solvency and reliability. People v. Wasservogle, 77 Cal. 173, 19 Pac. 270; Dry Dock Bank v. Trust Co., 3 N. Y. 356. 2. Time allowed to the buyer of goods by the seller, in which to make payment for them. 3. The correlative of a debt; that is, a debt considered from the creditor’s standpoint, or that which is incoming or due to one. 4. That which is due to a merchant, as distinguished from debit, that which is due by him. 5. That Influence connected with certain social positions. 20 Toullier, n. 19. The credit of an individual is the trust reposed in him by those who deal with him that he is of ability to meet his engagements; and he is trusted because through the tribunals of the country he may be made to pay. The credit of a government is founded on a belief of its ability to comply with its engagements, and a confidence in its honor, that it will do that voluntarily which it cannot be compelled to do. Owen v. Branch Bank, 3 Ala. 258.
What is CREDIT?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Types of License Classes
- What Can You Do If a Judge is Unfair?
- How to Sue an Apartment Complex
- Is Giuliani Facing Being Disbarred?
- Biden’s Newly-Threatened Impeachment… Wait, What?
- Trump Refusing To Pay Lawyer Rudy Giuliani
- Trump Is – Officially – The First President To Be Impeached Twice
- Trump Plans To Run 2024, But Can He Pardon Himself?
- Will Trump Get Indicted Or Impeached (Round 2)
- What Happened At Capitol Hill: A Blow-By-Blow
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way To Run A Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?