A collection or compendium of laws. A complete system of positive law, scientifically arranged, and promulgated by legislative authority. Johnson v. Harrison, 47 Minn. 575, 50 N. W. 923, 28 Am. St. Rep. 3S2; Railroad Co. v. State, 104 Ga. 831, 31 S. E. 531, 42 L R. A. 518; Railroad Co. v. Weiner, 49 Miss. 739. The collection of laws and constitutions made by order of the Emperor Justinian is distinguished by the appellation of “The Code,” by way of eminence. See CODE OF JUSTINIAN. A body of law established by the legislative authority, and intended to set forth, in generalized and systematic form, the principles of the entire law, whether written or unwritten, positive or customary, derived from enactment or from precedent Abbott. A code is to be distinguished from a digest. The subject-matter of the latter is usually reported decisions of the courts. But there are also digests of statutes. These consist of an orderly collection and classification of the existing statutes of a state or nation, while a code is promulgated as one new law covering the whole field of jurisprudence
What is CODE?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Suing Your Landlord: How, When, Why, & Should You Bother?
- Drug Decriminalization Laws Setup For Rehaul Throughout US
- Why Trump’s Lawsuit Tactics Won’t Turn The Election
- What Is Impeachment & How Does It Work, Exactly?
- War Drafts – What You Should Know About the Return of the Draft
- Fake News: History, Laws, & Is It Going To Ruin The Election… Again?
- Privacy Laws: Why It Matters, What To Do, & Important FAQs
- Deportation: Human Rights, FAQ, & What To Do
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA): Limits, Expenses & FAQ
- Census 2020: Everything You Need To Know Before You Say No
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?