In old English law. A suit or action. Thus, the power to “hold pleas” is the power to take cognizance of actions or suits; so “common pleas” are actions or suits between private persons. And this meaning of the word still appears in the modern declarations, where it is stated, e. g., that the defendant “has been summoned to answer the plaintiff in a plea of debt.” In common-law practice. A pleading; any one in the series of pleadings. More particularly, the first pleading on the part of tbe defendant. In the strictest sense, the answer which the defendant in an action at law makes to the plaintiff’s declaration, and in which he sets up matter of fact as defense, thus distinguished from a demurrer, which interposes objections on grounds of law. In equity. A sporial answer showing or relying upon one or more things as a cause why the suit should be either dismissed or delayed or barred. Mitf. Eq. PI. 210: Coop. Eq. PI. 223. A short statement, in response to a bill in equity, of facts which, if inserted in the bill, would render it demurrable: while an answer is a complete statement of the defendant’s case, and contains answers to any interrogatories the plaintiff may have administered. Hunt, Eq. pt. 1. c. 3.
What is PLEA?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- What is Racketeering?
- How To Get an EIN Number
- What is a Credit Freeze?
- The 14th Amendment Explained
- What is the Security Exchange Commission?
- Restitution Law – What it is, How to Avoid it, and Tips on Asking for It
- Should I Freeze My Credit?
- Living Will – The Pros & Cons You Need to Know
- What does it mean to be acquitted?
- Forming an LLC in Missouri
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- What Can You Do At 18 Legally?
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Why Do Policemen Touch Your Tail Light When They Pull You Over?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?