An Invention or contrivance; any result of desigu; as iu the phrase”gambling device,” which means a machine or contrivance of any kind for the playing ofan unlawful game of chance or hazard. State v. Blackstoue, 115 Mo. 424, 22 S. W. 370.Also, a plan or project; a scheme to trick or deceive; a stratagem or artifice; as in thelaws relating to fraud and cheating. State v. Smith, 82 Minn. 342, 85 N. W. 12. Also anemblem, pictorial representation, or distinguishing mark or sign of any kind; as in thelaws prohibiting the marking of ballots used in public elections with “any device.” Baxterv. Ellis, 111 N. C. 124, 15 S. E. 938, 17 L. R. A. 382; Owens v. State, 04 Tex. 509;Steele v. Calhoun, 61 Miss. 556.In a statute against gaming devices, this term is to be understood as meaningsomething formed by design, a contrivance, an invention. It is to be distinguished from”substitute,” which means something put in the place of another tiling, or used insteadof something else. Henderson v. State, 59 Ala. 91.In patent law. A plan or contrivance, or an application, adjustment, shaping, or combinationof materials or members, for the purpose of accomplishing a particular resultor serving a particular use, chiefly by mechanical means and usually simple in characteror not highly complex, but involving the exercise of the Inventive faculty.
What is DEVICE?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Suing Your Landlord: How, When, Why, & Should You Bother?
- Drug Decriminalization Laws Setup For Rehaul Throughout US
- Why Trump’s Lawsuit Tactics Won’t Turn The Election
- What Is Impeachment & How Does It Work, Exactly?
- War Drafts – What You Should Know About the Return of the Draft
- Fake News: History, Laws, & Is It Going To Ruin The Election… Again?
- Privacy Laws: Why It Matters, What To Do, & Important FAQs
- Deportation: Human Rights, FAQ, & What To Do
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA): Limits, Expenses & FAQ
- Census 2020: Everything You Need To Know Before You Say No
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?