In Roman law. An exception. In a general sense, a judicial allegationopposed by a defendant to the plaintiff’s action. Calvin.A stop or stay to an action opposed by the defendant. Cowell.Answering to the “defense” or “plea” of the common law. An allegation and defenseof a defendant by which the plaintiff’s claim or complaint is defeated, either accordingto strict law or upon grounds of equity.In a stricter sense, the exclusion of an action that lay in strict law, on grounds ofequity, (actionis jure stricto compctentis ob aqultatem exclusio.) lleinecc. A kind oflimitation of an action, by which it was shown that the action, though otherwise just,did not lie in the particular case. Calvin. A species of defense allowed iu cases where,though tbe action as brought by tbe plaintiff was in itself just, yet it was unjust asagainst the particular party sued. Inst. 4, 13, pr.In modern civil law. A plea by which the defendant admits the cause of action, butalleges new facts which, provided they be true, totally or partially answer the allegationsput forward on the other side; thus distinguished from a mere traverse of theplaintiff’s averments. Tomkins & J. Mod. Rom. Law, 90. In this use, the termcorresponds to the common-law plea in confession and avoidance.
What is EXCEPTIO?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Is Giuliani Facing Being Disbarred?
- Biden’s Newly-Threatened Impeachment… Wait, What?
- Trump Refusing To Pay Lawyer Rudy Giuliani
- Trump Is – Officially – The First President To Be Impeached Twice
- Trump Plans To Run 2024, But Can He Pardon Himself?
- Will Trump Get Indicted Or Impeached (Round 2)
- What Happened At Capitol Hill: A Blow-By-Blow
- Why People Marched On Capitol Hill: A Blow-By-Blow
- Suing Your Landlord: How, When, Why, & Should You Bother?
- Drug Decriminalization Laws Setup For Rehaul Throughout US
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way To Run A Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?