To fabricate, construct, or prepare one thing iu imitation of another thing,with the intention of substituting the false for the genuine, or otherwise deceiving anddefrauding by the use of tlie spurious article. To counterfeit or make falsely. Especially,to make a spurious written instrument with the inteution of fraudulently substituting itfor another, or of passing it off as genuine; or to fraudulently alter a genuineinstrument to another’s prejudice; or to sign another person’s name to a document,with a deceitful and fraudulent intent. See In re Cross (D. C.) 43 Fed. 520; U. S. v.Watkins, 28 Fed. Cas. 445; Johnson v. State, 9 Tex. App. 251; I.ougwell v. Day, 1 Mich.N. P. 290; People v. Compton, 123 Cal. 403. 50 Pac. 44 ; People v. Graham, 1 Sheld.(X. Y.) 155 ; Rohr v. State, 00 N. J. Law, 570, 38 Atl. 073; Haynes v. State, 15 Ohio St.455; Garner v. State, 5 Lea, 213; State v. Greenwood, 76 Minn. 211, 78 N. W. 1012, 77Am. St. Rep. 632; State v. Young, 46 N. H. 206, S8 Am. Dec. 212.To forge (a metaphorical expression, borrowed from the occupation of the smith)means, properly speaking, no more than to make or form, but in our law it is alwaystaken in an evil sense. 2 East, P. C. p. 852. c. 19,
What is FORGE?
Enter your email address to stay current on legal news and receive special offers
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- W-4: What It Is, Who They’re For, & How To Fill It Out
- Martial Law: Everything You Need To Know In 2020
- W-9s: What It Is, Who They’re For, & How To Fill It Out
- Marijuana: Recreational, Grow, & Medical Laws By State 2020
- Economic Recession VS Depression: Similarities & Differences
- Brexit Explained For Those Who Don’t Live In The UK
- Imperialism Definition, Laws, & History: From Rome To Now
- Capitalism, Socialism, & Communism Explained In Plain English
- What Is A Government Shutdown & Who Does It Affect?
- Is It A Monopoly? Everything You Ever Wanted To Know
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Look Up My Court Date Online