To fabricate, construct, or prepare one thing iu imitation of another thing,with the intention of substituting the false for the genuine, or otherwise deceiving anddefrauding by the use of tlie spurious article. To counterfeit or make falsely. Especially,to make a spurious written instrument with the inteution of fraudulently substituting itfor another, or of passing it off as genuine; or to fraudulently alter a genuineinstrument to another’s prejudice; or to sign another person’s name to a document,with a deceitful and fraudulent intent. See In re Cross (D. C.) 43 Fed. 520; U. S. v.Watkins, 28 Fed. Cas. 445; Johnson v. State, 9 Tex. App. 251; I.ougwell v. Day, 1 Mich.N. P. 290; People v. Compton, 123 Cal. 403. 50 Pac. 44 ; People v. Graham, 1 Sheld.(X. Y.) 155 ; Rohr v. State, 00 N. J. Law, 570, 38 Atl. 073; Haynes v. State, 15 Ohio St.455; Garner v. State, 5 Lea, 213; State v. Greenwood, 76 Minn. 211, 78 N. W. 1012, 77Am. St. Rep. 632; State v. Young, 46 N. H. 206, S8 Am. Dec. 212.To forge (a metaphorical expression, borrowed from the occupation of the smith)means, properly speaking, no more than to make or form, but in our law it is alwaystaken in an evil sense. 2 East, P. C. p. 852. c. 19,
What is FORGE?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- What is a statute of limitations and how long does it last?
- What is the Fair Housing Act and who does it protect?
- How Long is a Life Sentence?
- What is Entrapment?
- A Guide to the Types & Classes of Bankruptcy
- A Simple Guide to Medicare vs Medicaid
- What are the Miranda Rights?
- Property Management Law
- How Arbitration Works
- What is the Fourth Amendment?
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- Why Do Policemen Touch Your Tail Light When They Pull You Over?
- What Can You Do At 18 Legally?
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?