To fabricate, construct, or prepare one thing iu imitation of another thing,with the intention of substituting the false for the genuine, or otherwise deceiving anddefrauding by the use of tlie spurious article. To counterfeit or make falsely. Especially,to make a spurious written instrument with the inteution of fraudulently substituting itfor another, or of passing it off as genuine; or to fraudulently alter a genuineinstrument to another’s prejudice; or to sign another person’s name to a document,with a deceitful and fraudulent intent. See In re Cross (D. C.) 43 Fed. 520; U. S. v.Watkins, 28 Fed. Cas. 445; Johnson v. State, 9 Tex. App. 251; I.ougwell v. Day, 1 Mich.N. P. 290; People v. Compton, 123 Cal. 403. 50 Pac. 44 ; People v. Graham, 1 Sheld.(X. Y.) 155 ; Rohr v. State, 00 N. J. Law, 570, 38 Atl. 073; Haynes v. State, 15 Ohio St.455; Garner v. State, 5 Lea, 213; State v. Greenwood, 76 Minn. 211, 78 N. W. 1012, 77Am. St. Rep. 632; State v. Young, 46 N. H. 206, S8 Am. Dec. 212.To forge (a metaphorical expression, borrowed from the occupation of the smith)means, properly speaking, no more than to make or form, but in our law it is alwaystaken in an evil sense. 2 East, P. C. p. 852. c. 19,
What is FORGE?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- What is the Security Exchange Commission?
- Restitution Law – What it is, How to Avoid it, and Tips on Asking for It
- Should I Freeze My Credit?
- Living Will – The Pros & Cons You Need to Know
- What does it mean to be acquitted?
- Forming an LLC in Missouri
- Double Jeopardy Law
- How To Take Someone To Small Claims Court
- What is Jury Nullification?
- Guide to Court Ordered Mediation
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- What Can You Do At 18 Legally?
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Why Do Policemen Touch Your Tail Light When They Pull You Over?