The process or business of extracting from the earth the precious or valu- able metals, either in their native state or in their ores. In re Rollins Gold Min. Co. (D. C.) 102 Fed. 985. As ordinarily used, the term does not include the extraction from the earth of rock, marble, or slate, which is commonly described as “quarrying,” although coal and salt are “mined;” uor does it include sinking wells or shafts for petroleum or natural gas, unless expressly so declared by statute, as is the case in Indiana. See State v. Indiana, etc., Min. Co., 120 Ind. 575, 22 N. E. 778, 6 L. R. A. 579; Williams v. Citizens’ Enterprise Co., 153 Ind. 490, 55 N. E. 425.
What is MINING?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- War Drafts – What You Should Know About the Return of the Draft
- Fake News: History, Laws, & Is It Going To Ruin The Election… Again?
- Privacy Laws: Why It Matters, What To Do, & Important FAQs
- Deportation: Human Rights, FAQ, & What To Do
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA): Limits, Expenses & FAQ
- Census 2020: Everything You Need To Know Before You Say No
- What To Expect With An IRA: Traditional, Roth, SEP, & SIMPLE
- Outdated & Weird Laws You Can Still Be Charged With
- 401(K) Types, Loans, Contribution Limits, & Benefits
- Right To Know Law: Everything You Need To Know
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?