This term is applied to a crime or an offense that is defined by Congress such as treason, tax evasion, smuggling, kidnapping etc.
Archive | F RSS feed for this section
Decree that settles a case between the parties.
This term applies to knowing a person through frequent contact and does not apply an intimacy.
the term for punishment using a whip.
a Latin phrase where a court with the authority to try a case decides to turn the matter over to another court.
These are the rights given to people of life, liberty, property, freedom of speech, assembly, press and religion.
See false arrest.
a statement that is a deceitful and untrue statement that is made for ulterior motives.
the term that describes a law suit that is not legally tenable and as such is worthless.
right that will happen in the future and in accordance with provisions and stipulations of an existing contract.
These are the additional instructions that are given to the jury by a judge after they have begun deliberating a case.
an order given by the post master general to return mail to the sender who is using mail to defraud.
This term is applied to the earnings an injured would have made if he had not have been injured.
abbreviated to FDIC and is an agency of the US government that insures solvency of banks and their deposits.
the amount set that needs to be deposited before a suspect is released.
These are the facts that a plaintiff will base his claim on or which the defendant denies the claim on.
TLD Example: The time it takes for a trial can be greatly reduced if the opposing parties can agree on key points and reduce the facts in issue in a particular case.
This term applies to the unlawful restraint and or imprisonment of a person and an illegal arrest.
This term applies to the beneficiary who receives more than others.
Enter your email address to stay current on legal news and receive special offers
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
- How To Find Out If Someone Is Married
- How Does Unemployment Work?
- How To Find Out Who Owns A Property
- How To Find Your Social Security Number
- How To Find Out If Someone Died
- How Long Does A Background Check Take?
- What Does Disposed Mean In A Court Case?
- Squatter’s Rights & Adverse Possession: What You Need To Know
- The Difference Between Sexual Battery, Sexual Assault, & Rape
- What Is the Difference Between an Indictment and a Charge?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else's Behalf
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Look Up My Court Date Online
- How To Find An Inmate's Release Date
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How Do I Check On My Security Clearance Status?