To expand, enlarge, prolong, widen, carry out, further than the originallimit; as, to extend the time for filing an answer, to extend a lease, term of office,charter, railroad track, etc. Flagler v. Hearst. 62 App. Div. 18, 70 N. Y. Supp. 056;Colliding v. Hammond, 54 Fed. 642. 4 C. C. A. 533; State v. Scott. 113 Mo. 550. 20 S.W. 1076; James v. McMillan, 55 Mich. 136. 20 N. W. 826; Wilson v. Rousseau. 4 How.697, 11 L. Ed. 1141; Orton v. Noonan. 27 Wis. 272; Moers v. Reading, 21 Pa. 201;People v. New York & H. R. Co., 45 Rarb. (N Y.) 73. To extend a street means to prolongand continue it in the direction in which It already points, but does not includedeflecting it from the course of the existing portion. Monroe v. Ouachita Parish, 47 La.Ann. 1061, ’17 South. 498; In re Charlotte St., 23 Pa. 288; Seattle & M. Ry. Co. v.State, 7 Wash. 150, 34 Pac. 551, 22 L. R. A. 217, 38 Am. St. Rep. 866.In English practice. To value the lands or tenements of a person bound by a statuteor recognizance which has become forfeited, to their full extended value. 3 Bl. Comm.420; Fitzh. Nat. Brev. 131. To execute the writ of extent or extendi facias, (q. v.) 2Tidd, Pr. 1043, 1044.In taxation. Extending a tax consists in adding to the assessment roll the preciseamount due from each person whose name appears thereon. “The subjects for taxationhaving been properly listed, and a basis for apportionment established, nothing will remainto fix a definite liability but to extend upon the list or roll the several proportionateamounts, as a charge against the several taxables.” Cooley, Tax’n, (2d Ed.) 423.
What is EXTEND?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Restitution Law – What it is, How to Avoid it, and Tips on Asking for It
- Should I Freeze My Credit?
- Living Will – The Pros & Cons You Need to Know
- What does it mean to be acquitted?
- Forming an LLC in Missouri
- Double Jeopardy Law
- How To Take Someone To Small Claims Court
- What is Jury Nullification?
- Guide to Court Ordered Mediation
- Workplace Retaliation – What It Is And How To Handle It
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- What Can You Do At 18 Legally?
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way To Run A Free Arrest Warrant Check