To expand, enlarge, prolong, widen, carry out, further than the originallimit; as, to extend the time for filing an answer, to extend a lease, term of office,charter, railroad track, etc. Flagler v. Hearst. 62 App. Div. 18, 70 N. Y. Supp. 056;Colliding v. Hammond, 54 Fed. 642. 4 C. C. A. 533; State v. Scott. 113 Mo. 550. 20 S.W. 1076; James v. McMillan, 55 Mich. 136. 20 N. W. 826; Wilson v. Rousseau. 4 How.697, 11 L. Ed. 1141; Orton v. Noonan. 27 Wis. 272; Moers v. Reading, 21 Pa. 201;People v. New York & H. R. Co., 45 Rarb. (N Y.) 73. To extend a street means to prolongand continue it in the direction in which It already points, but does not includedeflecting it from the course of the existing portion. Monroe v. Ouachita Parish, 47 La.Ann. 1061, ’17 South. 498; In re Charlotte St., 23 Pa. 288; Seattle & M. Ry. Co. v.State, 7 Wash. 150, 34 Pac. 551, 22 L. R. A. 217, 38 Am. St. Rep. 866.In English practice. To value the lands or tenements of a person bound by a statuteor recognizance which has become forfeited, to their full extended value. 3 Bl. Comm.420; Fitzh. Nat. Brev. 131. To execute the writ of extent or extendi facias, (q. v.) 2Tidd, Pr. 1043, 1044.In taxation. Extending a tax consists in adding to the assessment roll the preciseamount due from each person whose name appears thereon. “The subjects for taxationhaving been properly listed, and a basis for apportionment established, nothing will remainto fix a definite liability but to extend upon the list or roll the several proportionateamounts, as a charge against the several taxables.” Cooley, Tax’n, (2d Ed.) 423.
What is EXTEND?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Is Giuliani Facing Being Disbarred?
- Biden’s Newly-Threatened Impeachment… Wait, What?
- Trump Refusing To Pay Lawyer Rudy Giuliani
- Trump Is – Officially – The First President To Be Impeached Twice
- Trump Plans To Run 2024, But Can He Pardon Himself?
- Will Trump Get Indicted Or Impeached (Round 2)
- What Happened At Capitol Hill: A Blow-By-Blow
- Why People Marched On Capitol Hill: A Blow-By-Blow
- Suing Your Landlord: How, When, Why, & Should You Bother?
- Drug Decriminalization Laws Setup For Rehaul Throughout US
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way To Run A Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?