In English law. Originally, a vill or tithing; but now a generic term, which comprehends under it the several species of cities, boroughs, and common towns. I Bl. Comm. 114. In American law. A civil and political division of a state, varying in extent and im- portance, but usually one of the divisions of a county. In the New England states, the town is the political unit, and is a municipal corporation. In some other states, where the county is the unit, the town is merely one of its subdivisions, but possesses some powers of local self-government. In still other states, such subdivisions of a county are called “townships,” aud “town” is the name of a village, borough, or smaller city. See Herrman v. Guttenberg, 62 N. J. Law, 605, 43 Atl. 703; Van Riper v. Parsons, 40 N. J. Law, 1; State v. Denny, 118 Ind. 449, 21 N. E 274, 4 L. R. A. 65; Sessions v. State, 115 Ga. 18, 41 S. E. 259; Milford v. Godfrey, 1 Pick. (Mass.) 97; Enfield v. Jordan, 119 U. S. 6S0, 7 Sup. Ct. 35S, 30 L. Ed. 523; Rogers v. Galloway Female College, 64 Ark. 027, 44 S. W. 454, 39 L. R. A. 030; Railway Co. v. Oconto, 50 Wis. 189, 0 N. W. 007, 30 Am. Rep. 840; Lovejoy v. Foxcroft, 91 Me. 307, 40 Atl. 141; Bloomfield v. Charter Oak Bank, 121 U. S. 121, 7 Sup. Ct. 805, 30 L. Ed. 923; Lynch v. Rutland, 66 Vt 570, 29 Atl. 1015.
What is TOWN?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- What is the Security Exchange Commission?
- Restitution Law – What it is, How to Avoid it, and Tips on Asking for It
- Should I Freeze My Credit?
- Living Will – The Pros & Cons You Need to Know
- What does it mean to be acquitted?
- Forming an LLC in Missouri
- Double Jeopardy Law
- How To Take Someone To Small Claims Court
- What is Jury Nullification?
- Guide to Court Ordered Mediation
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- What Can You Do At 18 Legally?
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Why Do Policemen Touch Your Tail Light When They Pull You Over?