In Contracts. A statement made by one of two contracting parties to the other, before or at the time of making the contract, in regard to some fact, circumstance, or state of facts pertinent to the contract, which is influential in bringing about the agreement. In insurance. A collateral statement, either by writing not inserted in the policy or by parol, of such facts or circumstances, relative to the proposed adventure, as are necessary to be communicated to the underwriters, to enable them to form a just estimate of tlie risks. 1 Marsh. Ins. 450. The allegation of any facts, by the applicant to the insurer, or vice versa, preliminary to making the contract, and directly bearing upon it, having a plain and evident tendency to induce the making of the policy. The statements may or may not be in writing, and may be either express or by obvious implication. Lee v. Howard Fire Ins. Co., 11 Cush. (Mass.) 324; Augusta Insurance & Banking Co. of Georgia v. Abbott, 12 Md. 34S. In relation to the contract of insurance, there is an important distinction between a representation and a warranty.The former, which precedes the contract of insurance, and is no part of it, need he only materially true: the latter is a part of the contract, and must be exactly and literally fulfilled, or else the contract is broken and inoperative. Glendale Woolen Co. v. Protection Ins. Co., 21 Conn. 19, 54 Am. Dec. 309. In the law of distribution and descent. The principle upon which the issue of a deceased person take or inherit the share of an estate which their immediate ancestor would have taken or Inherited, if living; the taking or inheriting per stirpes. 2 Bl. Comm. 217, 517. In Scotch law. The name of a plea or statement presented to a lord ordinary of the court of session, when his judgment is brought under review.
What is REPRESENTATION?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- How to Fill Out Form W-9
- Section 42 Housing
- Types of License Classes
- What Can You Do If a Judge is Unfair?
- How to Sue an Apartment Complex
- Is Giuliani Facing Being Disbarred?
- Biden’s Newly-Threatened Impeachment… Wait, What?
- Trump Refusing To Pay Lawyer Rudy Giuliani
- Trump Is – Officially – The First President To Be Impeached Twice
- Trump Plans To Run 2024, But Can He Pardon Himself?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way To Run A Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?