1. A general designation applied to any literary composition which is printed, but appropriately to a printed composition bound in a volume. Scoville v. Toland, 21 Fed. Cas. 864. 2. A bound volume consisting of sheets of paper, not printed, but containing manu script entries; such as a merchant’s account-books, dockets of courts, etc. 3. A name often giveu to the largest subdivisions of a treatise or other literary composition. 4. In practice, the name of “book” Is given to several of the more important papers prepared in the progress of a cause, though entirely written, and not at all in the book form; such as deinurrer-books, error-books, paper-books, etc. In copyright law, the meaning of the term is more extensive than in popular usage, for it may include a pamphlet, a magazine, a collection of blank forms, or a single sheet of music or of ordinary printing. U. S. v. Bennett, 24 Fed. Cas. 1,093; Stowe v. Thomas, 23 Fed. Cas. 207; White v. Geroch, 2 Barn. & Aid. 301 ; Brightley v. Littleton (C. C.) 37 Fed. 104; Holmes v. Hurst, 174 II. S. 82, 19 Sup. Ct. 600. 43 L. Ed. 904; Clement! v. Goulding, 11 East 244; Clayton v. Stone, 5 Fed. Cas. 999.
What is BOOK?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- What is Racketeering?
- How To Get an EIN Number
- What is a Credit Freeze?
- The 14th Amendment Explained
- What is the Security Exchange Commission?
- Restitution Law – What it is, How to Avoid it, and Tips on Asking for It
- Should I Freeze My Credit?
- Living Will – The Pros & Cons You Need to Know
- What does it mean to be acquitted?
- Forming an LLC in Missouri
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- What Can You Do At 18 Legally?
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Why Do Policemen Touch Your Tail Light When They Pull You Over?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?