How To Get Residential Property Zoned Commercial

Are you considering buying a property that is not zoned the way you would like it to be? Have you inherited a residential property that wound be more valuable as commercial property? Here is how to get residential property zoned commercial.

“Research Local Zoning Laws”

The primary zoning categories are agricultural, commercial, industrial, residential and mixed use. The county or city level of government is usually responsible for these zoning laws. There should be a special zoning committee or department to make these decisions.

You can start by printing an official zoning map you find online. Look for trends on how property was zoned in the community. Research the history of your town to determine if your property used to be zoned in a different way.

Consider the present demographics of your community. When the railroads, subway systems and roads were being built, the zoning laws were being modified. Large corporations will request changing residential property to commercial. What are the largest developments in your neighborhood?

If you want to change your residential property to a commercial property you must demonstrate how this zoning modification will benefit the community. Find a property like yours that was rezoned to commercial; collect evidence demonstrating the benefits.

“Meet the Neighbors”

Companies provide the necessary employment, products and services to make a community thrive. Well-organized neighborhoods will have their own associations – visit your neighborhood association. Neighbors might express worries over increased traffic, noise and pollution. Offer solutions.

Meet new neighbors and build up a rapport. Rezoning decisions will requires two sets of approval: 1) from the government and 2) from the community.

“Attend Zoning Meetings”

Attend regular government and zoning meetings to build up a relationship with the decision makers. Learn about requirements and how people succeed in rezoning their land.

Collect the official land description details for your plat or parcel. You might consider hiring an attorney, architect, engineer or surveyor to support your case. You must look professional. Develop a back-up plan in case there are too many concerns with your original plan.

Make your request to the zoning officials. File your paperwork and pay the filing fee. Your request will be published in the local newspaper. Neighbors can comment pro and con. The government may want you to revise your plan. Finally, there will be a vote on whether to change the zoning ordinance.

More On This Topic

Comments are closed.