The renunciation, repudiation, abandonment, or surrender of some claim, right, privilege, or of the opportunity to take advantage of some select, irregular- Vity, or wrong. The passing by of an occasion to enforce a legal right, whereby the right to enforce the same is lost; a common instance of this is where a landlord waives a forfeiture of a lease by receiving rent, or distraining for M rent, which has accrued due after the breach of covenant causing the forfeiture became known to him. Wharton. This word is commonly used to denote the declining to take advantage of an irregularity in legal proceedings, or of a forfeiture incurred through breach of covenants in a lease. A gift of goods may be waived by a disagreement to accept; so a plaintiff may commonly sue in contract waiving the tort Brown. See Bennecke v. Insurance Co., 105 U. S. 355, 20 L. Ed. 990; Christensen v. Carleton, 69 Vt 91. 37 Atl. 226; Shaw v. Spencer, 100 Mass. 395, 97 Am. Dec. 107, 1 Am. Bep. 115; Star Brewery Co. v. Primas, 103 111. 652, 45 N. E. 145; Reid v. Field, 83 Va. 26, 1 S. E. 395; Caulfield v. Finnegan, 114 Ala. 39, 21 South. 484; Lyman v. Little ton, 50 N. H. 54; Smiley v. Barker, 83 Fed. 684, 28 C. C. A. 9; Boos v. Ewiug, 17 Ohio, 523, 49 Am. Dec. 478.
What is WAIVER?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- War Drafts – What You Should Know About the Return of the Draft
- Fake News: History, Laws, & Is It Going To Ruin The Election… Again?
- Privacy Laws: Why It Matters, What To Do, & Important FAQs
- Deportation: Human Rights, FAQ, & What To Do
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA): Limits, Expenses & FAQ
- Census 2020: Everything You Need To Know Before You Say No
- What To Expect With An IRA: Traditional, Roth, SEP, & SIMPLE
- Outdated & Weird Laws You Can Still Be Charged With
- 401(K) Types, Loans, Contribution Limits, & Benefits
- Right To Know Law: Everything You Need To Know
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?