Suicide is the willful and voluntary act of a person who understands the physical nature of the act, and intends by it to accomplish the result of self-destruction. Nimick v. Mutual Life Ins. Co., 10 Am. Law Reg. (N. S.) 101, Fed. Cas. No. 10,266. Suicide is the deliberate termination of one’s existence, while in the possession and enjoyment of his mental faculties. Self-killing by an insane person is not suicide. See Insurance Co. v. Moore, 34 Mich. 41; Weber v. Supreme Tent 172 N. Y. 490. 65 N. E 258, 92 Am. St. Rep. 753; Clift v. Schwabe. 3 C. B. 458; Knights Templars, etc., Indemnity Co. v. Jarman, 187 U. S. 197, 23 Sup. Ct. 108, 47 L. Ed. 139; Breasted v. Farmers’ L. & T. Co., 8 N. Y. 299, 59 Am. Dec. 482; Daniels v. Railroad Co.. 183 Mass. 393, 67 N. a 424, 62 L R. A. 751.
What is SUICIDE?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Fake News: History, Laws, & Is It Going To Ruin The Election… Again?
- Privacy Laws: Why It Matters, What To Do, & Important FAQs
- Deportation: Human Rights, FAQ, & What To Do
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA): Limits, Expenses & FAQ
- Census 2020: Everything You Need To Know Before You Say No
- What To Expect With An IRA: Traditional, Roth, SEP, & SIMPLE
- Outdated & Weird Laws You Can Still Be Charged With
- 401(K) Types, Loans, Contribution Limits, & Benefits
- Right To Know Law: Everything You Need To Know
- FAQ About The Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA)
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?