Determining an inference’s or conclusion’s validity or invalidity from two or more statements or premises. Classical or traditional system based on the theory of syllogism. Propose by the Greek philosopher Aristotle (384-322 BC) as a systematic approach in his book ‘Organon’. What is stated, the content, is not the focus of this system. The argument’s structure and form and the inference’s truth based on the premises of the argument are what matter. If the premises are true then the inference, or logical consequence, must also be true. Formal logic has basic principles: (1) Principle of identity: A true premise is true. (2) Principle of excluded middle: a premise is either true or false. (3) Principle of contradiction: no statement is true and false at the same time. Known also as Aristotelian logic. Refer to fuzzy logic and symbolic logic.
What is FORMAL LOGIC?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- What is a statute of limitations and how long does it last?
- What is the Fair Housing Act and who does it protect?
- How Long is a Life Sentence?
- What is Entrapment?
- A Guide to the Types & Classes of Bankruptcy
- A Simple Guide to Medicare vs Medicaid
- What are the Miranda Rights?
- Property Management Law
- How Arbitration Works
- What is the Fourth Amendment?
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- Why Do Policemen Touch Your Tail Light When They Pull You Over?
- What Can You Do At 18 Legally?
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?