Determining an inference’s or conclusion’s validity or invalidity from two or more statements or premises. Classical or traditional system based on the theory of syllogism. Propose by the Greek philosopher Aristotle (384-322 BC) as a systematic approach in his book ‘Organon’. What is stated, the content, is not the focus of this system. The argument’s structure and form and the inference’s truth based on the premises of the argument are what matter. If the premises are true then the inference, or logical consequence, must also be true. Formal logic has basic principles: (1) Principle of identity: A true premise is true. (2) Principle of excluded middle: a premise is either true or false. (3) Principle of contradiction: no statement is true and false at the same time. Known also as Aristotelian logic. Refer to fuzzy logic and symbolic logic.
What is FORMAL LOGIC?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Fake News: History, Laws, & Is It Going To Ruin The Election… Again?
- Privacy Laws: Why It Matters, What To Do, & Important FAQs
- Deportation: Human Rights, FAQ, & What To Do
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA): Limits, Expenses & FAQ
- Census 2020: Everything You Need To Know Before You Say No
- What To Expect With An IRA: Traditional, Roth, SEP, & SIMPLE
- Outdated & Weird Laws You Can Still Be Charged With
- 401(K) Types, Loans, Contribution Limits, & Benefits
- Right To Know Law: Everything You Need To Know
- FAQ About The Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA)
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?