When bills not due are paid into a bank by a customer, it is the custom of some bankers not to carry theamount of the bills directly to his credit, but to “enter them short,” as it is called, i. e.,to note down the receipt of the bills, their amounts, and the times when they becomedue in a previous column of the page, and the amounts when received are carriedforward into the usual cash column. Sometimes, instead of entering such bills short,bankers credit the customer directly with the amount of the bills as cash, charginginterest on any advances they may make on their account, and allow him at once todraw upon them to that amount. If the banker becomes bankrupt, the property in billsentered short does not pass to his assignees, but the customer is entitled to them ifthey remain in his hands, or to their proceeds, if received, subject to any lien the bankermay have upon them. Wharton.
What is ENTERING SHORT?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Is Giuliani Facing Being Disbarred?
- Biden’s Newly-Threatened Impeachment… Wait, What?
- Trump Refusing To Pay Lawyer Rudy Giuliani
- Trump Is – Officially – The First President To Be Impeached Twice
- Trump Plans To Run 2024, But Can He Pardon Himself?
- Will Trump Get Indicted Or Impeached (Round 2)
- What Happened At Capitol Hill: A Blow-By-Blow
- Why People Marched On Capitol Hill: A Blow-By-Blow
- Suing Your Landlord: How, When, Why, & Should You Bother?
- Drug Decriminalization Laws Setup For Rehaul Throughout US
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way To Run A Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?