The act of choosing or selecting one or more from a greater number of persons, things, courses, or rights. The choice of an alternative. Slate v. Tucker, 54 Ala.210.The internal, free, and spontaneous separation of one thing from another, without compulsion, consisting in intention and will. Dyer, 281.The selection of one man from among several candidates to discharge certain duties in a state, corporation, or society. Maynard v. District Canvassers, 84 Mich. 228, 47 N.W. 756, 11 L. R. A. 332; Brown v. Phillips, 71 Wis. 239. 36 N. W. 242; Wickersham v.Brittan, 93 Cal. 34. 28 Pac. 792, 15 L. R. A. 106.The choice which is open to a debtor who is bound in an alternative obligation to select either one of the alternatives. In equity. The obligation imposed upon a party to choose between two inconsistent or alternative rights or claims, in cases where there is clear intention of the person from whom he derives one that he should not enjoy both. 2 Story, Eq. Jur.
What is ELECTION?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- How To Get an EIN Number
- What is a Credit Freeze?
- The 14th Amendment Explained
- What is the Security Exchange Commission?
- Restitution Law – What it is, How to Avoid it, and Tips on Asking for It
- Should I Freeze My Credit?
- Living Will – The Pros & Cons You Need to Know
- What does it mean to be acquitted?
- Forming an LLC in Missouri
- Double Jeopardy Law
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- What Can You Do At 18 Legally?
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Why Do Policemen Touch Your Tail Light When They Pull You Over?