The taking a personal chattel out of the possession of a wrong-doer intothe custody of the party injured, to procure a satisfaction for a wrong committed; as fornou-paymeut of rent, or injury done by cattle. 3 Bl. Comm. 6, 7; Co. Litt. 47; Emig v.Cunningham, 02 Md. 400; Hard v. Near- ing, 44 Barb. (N. Y.) 488; Owen v. Boyle, 22Me. 01; Evans v. Lincoln Co., 204 Pa. 448, 54 Atl. 321. The taking of beasts or otherpersonal property by way of pledge, to enforce the performance of something due fromthe party distrained upon. 3 Bl. Comm. 231. The taking of a defendant’s goods, in orderto compel an appearance in court. Id. 2S0; 3 Steph. Comm. 301, 363. The seizure ofpersonal property to enforce payment of taxes, to be followed by its public sale if thetaxes are not voluntarily paid. Marshall v. Wadsworth, 04 N. H. 380, 10 Atl. OSS. Alsothe thing taken by distraining, that which is seized to procure satisfaction. And in oldScotch law, a pledge taken by the sheriff from those attending fairs or markets, tosecure their good behavior, and returnable to them at the close of the fair or market Ifthey had been guilty of no wrong.
What is DISTRESS?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- How Long is a Life Sentence?
- What is Entrapment?
- A Guide to the Types & Classes of Bankruptcy
- A Simple Guide to Medicare vs Medicaid
- What are the Miranda Rights?
- Property Management Law
- How Arbitration Works
- What is the Fourth Amendment?
- How To Start a Sole Proprietorship
- What Does Emancipation Mean?
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- What Can You Do At 18 Legally?
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- Why Do Policemen Touch Your Tail Light When They Pull You Over?
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?