The want of legal ability or capacity to exercise legal rights, eitherspecial or ordinary, or to do certain acts with proper legal effect or to enjoy certainprivileges or powers of free action. Berkin v. Marsh, 18 Mont 152, 44 Pac. 528, 56 Am. St. Rep. 565.At the present day, disability is generally used to indicate an incapacity for the full enjoyment of ordinary legal rights; thus married women, persons under age, insanepersons, and felons convict are said to be under disability. Sometimes the term is usedin a more limited sense, as when it signifies an impediment to marriage, or therestraints placed upon clergymen by reason of their spiritual avocations. Mozley &Whitley.Classification. Disability is either general or special; the former when it incapacitatesthe person for the performance of all legal acts of a general class, or giving to themtheir ordinary legal effect; the latter when it debars him from one specific act. Disabilityis also either personal or absolute; the former where it attaches to the particularperson, and arises out of his statut, his previous act, or his natural or juridicalincapacity; the latter where it originates with a particular person, but extends also to hisdescendants or successors. Lord de le Warre’s Case, 6 Coke, la; Avegno v. Schmidt, 113U. S. 293. 5 Sup. Ct. 487. 28 L. Ed. 976. Considered with special reference to thecapacity to contract a marriage, disability is either canonical or civil; a disability of theformer class makes the marriage voidable only, while the latter, in general, avoids it
What is DISABILITY?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Is Giuliani Facing Being Disbarred?
- Biden’s Newly-Threatened Impeachment… Wait, What?
- Trump Refusing To Pay Lawyer Rudy Giuliani
- Trump Is – Officially – The First President To Be Impeached Twice
- Trump Plans To Run 2024, But Can He Pardon Himself?
- Will Trump Get Indicted Or Impeached (Round 2)
- What Happened At Capitol Hill: A Blow-By-Blow
- Why People Marched On Capitol Hill: A Blow-By-Blow
- Suing Your Landlord: How, When, Why, & Should You Bother?
- Drug Decriminalization Laws Setup For Rehaul Throughout US
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way To Run A Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?