At common law. Such goods as after a shipwreck are cast upon the land bythe sea, aud, as lying within the territory of some county, do not belong to theJurisdiction of the admiralty, but to the common law. 2 Inst. 107; 1 Bl. Comm. 200.Goods cast ashore from a wrecked vessel, where no living creature has escapedfrom the wreck alive; and which are forfeited to the crown, or to persons having thefranchise of wreck. Cowell.In American law. Goods cast ashore by the sea, and not claimed by the ownerwithin a year, or other specified period; and which, in such case, become the propertyof the state. 2 Kent, Comm. 322.In maritime law. A ship becomes a wreck when, in consequence of injuries received,she is rendered absolutely unnaviga- ble, or unable to pursue her voyage, withoutrepairs exceeding the half of her value. Wood v. Insurance Co., 6 Mass. 479, 4 Am.Dec. 103; Collard v. Eddy, 17 Mo. 355; Baker v. Iloag, 7 N. Y. 558, 59 Am. Dec. 431;Beele v. Insurance Co.. 19 Fed. Cas. 104; Lacaze v. State, 1 Add. (ra.) 99.
What is WRECK?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Is Giuliani Facing Being Disbarred?
- Biden’s Newly-Threatened Impeachment… Wait, What?
- Trump Refusing To Pay Lawyer Rudy Giuliani
- Trump Is – Officially – The First President To Be Impeached Twice
- Trump Plans To Run 2024, But Can He Pardon Himself?
- Will Trump Get Indicted Or Impeached (Round 2)
- What Happened At Capitol Hill: A Blow-By-Blow
- Why People Marched On Capitol Hill: A Blow-By-Blow
- Suing Your Landlord: How, When, Why, & Should You Bother?
- Drug Decriminalization Laws Setup For Rehaul Throughout US
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way To Run A Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?