As designating a commodity or a subject of ownership, this term has thesame meaning in law as in common speech ; but in another sense, and especially in theplural, it may designate a body of water, such as a river, a lake, or an ocean, or anaggregate of such bodies of water, as in the phrases “foreign waters,” “waters of theUnited States,” and the like.Water is neither land nor tenement nor susceptible of absolute ownership. It is amovable thins and must of necessity continue common by the law of nature. It admitsonly of a transient usufructuary property, and if it escapes for a moment the right to itis gone forever, the qualified owner having no legal power of reclamation. It is notcapable of being sued for by the name of “water,” nor by a calculation of its cubical orsuperficial measure; but the suit must be brought for the land which lies at the bottomcovered with water. As water is not land, neither is it a tenement, because it is not of apermanent nature, nor the subject of absolute property. It is not in any possible sensereal estate, and hence is not embraced in a covenant of general warranty. Mitchell v.Warner, 5 Conn. 518.
What is WATER?
Enter your email address to stay current on legal news and receive special offers
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Capitalism, Socialism, & Communism Explained In Plain English
- What Is A Government Shutdown & Who Does It Affect?
- Is It A Monopoly? Everything You Ever Wanted To Know
- Breach Of Contract: What It Is, Types, Examples, & Resolving Them
- Plausible Deniability Definition, Examples, & Laws
- Nepotism, Cronyism, & Favoritism: Illegal Or Unethical?
- How To Get A Green Card
- How To Obtain A Criminal Background Check In Pennsylvania
- How To Avoid Probate
- How To Check If A Number Is On The Do Not Call List
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Look Up My Court Date Online
- How Do I Check On My Security Clearance Status?