1. Anything by which the memory of a person or an event is preserved or perpetuated. A tomb where a dead body has been deposited. Mead v. Case, 33 Barb. (N. Y.) 202; Iu re Ogden, 25 B. I. 373, 55 Atl. 033. 2. In real-property law and surveying, monuments are visible marks or indications left on natural or other objects indicating the lines and boundaries of a survey. In this sense the term includes not only posts, pillars, stone markers, cairns, and the like, but also fixed natural objects, blazed trees, and even a watercourse. See Grier v. Pennsyl- vania Coal Co.. 128 Pa. 79. 18 Atl. 480; Cox v. I-‘reedley, 33 Pa. 124, 75 Am. Dec. 584. Monumenta quae nos recorda vocamus aunt veritatis et vetustatis vestigia. Co. Litt. 118. Monuments, which we call “records,” are the vestiges of truth and antiquity.
What is MONUMENT?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
- Fake News: History, Laws, & Is It Going To Ruin The Election… Again?
- Privacy Laws: Why It Matters, What To Do, & Important FAQs
- Deportation: Human Rights, FAQ, & What To Do
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA): Limits, Expenses & FAQ
- Census 2020: Everything You Need To Know Before You Say No
- What To Expect With An IRA: Traditional, Roth, SEP, & SIMPLE
- Outdated & Weird Laws You Can Still Be Charged With
- 401(K) Types, Loans, Contribution Limits, & Benefits
- Right To Know Law: Everything You Need To Know
- FAQ About The Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA)
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?