1. The edge or border; the edge of a body of water where it meets the land. As applied to a bouudary Hue of land, the “margin” of a river, creek, or other water-course means the center of the stream. Ex parte Jennings, 6 Cow. (N. Y.) 527, 16 Am. Dec. 447; Varick v. Smith, 9 Paige (N. Y.) 551. But in the case of a lake, bay, or natural pond, the “margin” means the line where land and water meet. Fowler v. Vree- land, 44 X. J. Eq. 268, 14 Atl. 116; Lem- beck v. Andrews. 47 Ohio St. 336, 24 N. E. 686. 8 L. R. A. 578. 2. A sum of money, or its equivalent, placed in the hands of a stockbroker by the principal or person on whose account the purchase is to be made, as a security to the former against losses to which he may be exposed by a subsequent depression in the market value of the stock. Markhara v. Jau- don. 49 Barb. (N. Y.) 468; Sheehy v. Sbinn, 103 Cal 325. 37 Pac. 393: Memphis Brokerage Ass’n v. Cullen, 11 Lea (Tenn.) 77: For- tenbury v. State, 47 Ark. 188. 1 S. W. 58.
What is MARGIN?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- How To Get an EIN Number
- What is a Credit Freeze?
- The 14th Amendment Explained
- What is the Security Exchange Commission?
- Restitution Law – What it is, How to Avoid it, and Tips on Asking for It
- Should I Freeze My Credit?
- Living Will – The Pros & Cons You Need to Know
- What does it mean to be acquitted?
- Forming an LLC in Missouri
- Double Jeopardy Law
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- What Can You Do At 18 Legally?
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Why Do Policemen Touch Your Tail Light When They Pull You Over?