The right of the sword; the executory power of the law; the right, power, or prerogative of punishing for crime. 4 Bl. Comm. 177.
The law of nature. See Jrs NATURAI.E.
Private law; the law regulating the rights, conduct, and affairs of individuals, as distinguished from “public” law, which relates to the constitution and functions of government and the administration of criminal justice. See Mackeld. Rom. Law,
In Roman law. A name applied to the Roman law of wills, in the time of Justinian, on account of its threefold derivation, viz., from the pra:- torian edict, from the civil law, and from the imperial constitutions. Maine, Anc. Law, 207. Jus triplex est,
In English law. Justices in eyre, who formerly went from county to county to administer justice. They were so called to distinguish tliem from justices residing at Westminister, who were called “justicii residentes.” Co. Litt. 293.
A dav on which the court is actually in session. Heffner v. Heffner. 48 La. Ann. 1088, 20 South. 2S1
A day proper for the transaction of business in court; one on which the court may lawfully sit. excluding Sundays and some holidays.
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- War Drafts – What You Should Know About the Return of the Draft
- Fake News: History, Laws, & Is It Going To Ruin The Election… Again?
- Privacy Laws: Why It Matters, What To Do, & Important FAQs
- Deportation: Human Rights, FAQ, & What To Do
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA): Limits, Expenses & FAQ
- Census 2020: Everything You Need To Know Before You Say No
- What To Expect With An IRA: Traditional, Roth, SEP, & SIMPLE
- Outdated & Weird Laws You Can Still Be Charged With
- 401(K) Types, Loans, Contribution Limits, & Benefits
- Right To Know Law: Everything You Need To Know
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?