A legal right In the civil law. A right which was enforceable in the ordinary course of law. 2 Bl. Comm. 328.
In the civil law. The discretion of the prator, as distinct from the leges, or standing laws. 3 Bl. Comm. 49. That kind of law which the pr;etors introduced for the purpose of aiding, supplying, or correcting the civil law for the public benefit. Dig. 1, 1, 7. Called, also, “jus honorarium,” (q. v.)
In old European law. The law of staple; the right of staple. A right or privilege of certain towns of stopping imported merchandise, and compelling It to lie offered for sale in their own markets. Locc. de Jure Mar. lib. 1, c. 10.
Rank or office of a justice.
Exercises between martial men and persons of houor, with spears, on horseback; different from tournaments, which were military exercises between many men in troops. 24 Hen. VIII. c. 13. Justum non est aliquem antenatum mortuum facere bastardum, qui pro tota vita sua pro legitimo habetur. It is not just to make a bastard after his death one elder born who all his life has been account- ed legitimate. 8 Coke, 101
A dav on which the court is actually in session. Heffner v. Heffner. 48 La. Ann. 1088, 20 South. 2S1
A day proper for the transaction of business in court; one on which the court may lawfully sit. excluding Sundays and some holidays.
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- How Long is a Life Sentence?
- What is Entrapment?
- A Guide to the Types & Classes of Bankruptcy
- A Simple Guide to Medicare vs Medicaid
- What are the Miranda Rights?
- Property Management Law
- How Arbitration Works
- What is the Fourth Amendment?
- How To Start a Sole Proprietorship
- What Does Emancipation Mean?
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- What Can You Do At 18 Legally?
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- Why Do Policemen Touch Your Tail Light When They Pull You Over?
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?