1. A treaty of alliance between different states or parties. It may be offensive or defensive, or both. It is offensive when the contracting parties agree to unite in attacking a common enemy; defensive when the parties agree to act in concert in defending each other against au enemy. Wharton. 2. A measure of distance, varying in different countries. The marine league, marking the limit of national jurisdiction on the high seas, is equal to three geographical (or ma- rine) miles of 0.075 feet each. In Spanish and Mexican law, the league, as a legal measure of length, consisted of 5,000 varas, and a vara was equivalent to 33% English inches, making the league equal to a little more than 2.03 miles, and the square league equal to .4,428 acres. This is its meaning as used in Texas land grants. United States v. Perot, 98 U. S. 428, 25 L. Ed. 251; Ilunter v. Morse, 49 Tex. 219. “League and labor,” an area of land equivalent to 4,005 acres. Amnions v. Dwyer, 78 Tex. 039, 15 S. W. 1049. See LABOB.
What is LEAGUE?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Is Giuliani Facing Being Disbarred?
- Biden’s Newly-Threatened Impeachment… Wait, What?
- Trump Refusing To Pay Lawyer Rudy Giuliani
- Trump Is – Officially – The First President To Be Impeached Twice
- Trump Plans To Run 2024, But Can He Pardon Himself?
- Will Trump Get Indicted Or Impeached (Round 2)
- What Happened At Capitol Hill: A Blow-By-Blow
- Why People Marched On Capitol Hill: A Blow-By-Blow
- Suing Your Landlord: How, When, Why, & Should You Bother?
- Drug Decriminalization Laws Setup For Rehaul Throughout US
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way To Run A Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?