A criminal proceeding against a public officer, before a quasipolitical court, instituted by a written accusation called “articles of impeachment;” forexample, a written accusation by the house of representatives of the United States tothe senate of the United States against an officer.In England, a prosecution by the house of commons before the bouse of lords of acommoner for treason, or other high crimes and misdemeanors, or of a peer for any crime.In evidence. An allegation, supported by proof, that a witness who has been examinedis unworthy of credit.–ARTICLES OF IMPEACHMENT. The formal written allegation of the causes for an impeachment, answering the same purpose as an indictment in an ordinary criminal proceeding. –COLLATERAL IMPEACHMENT. Thecollateral impeachment of a judgment or decree is an attempt made to destroy orevade its effect as an estoppel, by reopening the merits of the cause or showingreasons why the judgment should not have been given or should not have a conclusiveeffect, in any collateral proceeding, that is, in any action or proceeding other than thatin which the judgment was given, or other than an appeal, certiorari, or other directproceeding to review it.–IMPEACHMENT OF ANNUITY. A term sometimes used in Englishlaw to denote anything that operates as a hindrance, impediment or obstruction of themaking of the profits out of which the annuity is to arise. Pitt v. Williams, 4 Adol. & El.885.–IMPEACHMENT OF WASTE. Liability for waste committed ; or a demand or suit forcompensation for waste committed upon lands or tenements by a tenant thereof who.having only a leasehold or particular estate, had no right to commit waste. See 2 Rl.Comm. 283; Sanderson v. .Tones, 6 Fla. 480. 63 Am. Dec. 217. –IMPEACHMENT OFWITNESS. Proof that a witness who has testified in a cause is unworthy of credit. White v.Railroad Co.. 142 Ind. (
What is IMPEACHMENT?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Trump Plans To Run 2024, But Can He Pardon Himself?
- Will Trump Get Indicted Or Impeached (Round 2)
- What Happened At Capitol Hill: A Blow-By-Blow
- Why People Marched On Capitol Hill: A Blow-By-Blow
- Suing Your Landlord: How, When, Why, & Should You Bother?
- Drug Decriminalization Laws Setup For Rehaul Throughout US
- Why Trump’s Lawsuit Tactics Won’t Turn The Election
- What Is Impeachment & How Does It Work, Exactly?
- War Drafts – What You Should Know About the Return of the Draft
- Fake News: History, Laws, & Is It Going To Ruin The Election… Again?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?