An inn ; a public house or tavern ; a house for entertaining strangers ortravelers. St Louis v. Siegrist, 40 Mo. 594; People v. Jones, 54 Barb. (X. Y.) 316; Cromwellv. Stephens, 2 Daly (N. Y.) 19.Synonyms. In law, there is no difference whatever between the terms “hotel,” “inn,”and “tavern.” except that in some states a statutory definition has been given to theword “hotel,” especially with reference to the grant of licenses to sell liquor, as, that it6hall contain a certain number of separate rooms for the entertainment of guests, orthe like. But none of the three terms mentioned will include a boarding house (becausethat is a place kept for the entertainment of permanent boarders, while a hotel or inn isfor travelers and transient guests), nor a lodging house (because the keeper thereofdoes not furnish food for guests, which is one of the requisites of a hotel or inn), nor arestaurant or eating-house, which furnishes food onlv and not lodging. See Martin v.State Ins. Co., 44 X. J. I jaw. 4S5, 43 Am. Rep. 397 ; In re Liquor Licenses, 4 Montg.Co. Law Rep’r (Pa.) 79; Kelly v. Excise Com’rs. 54 How. Prac. (X. Y.) 331: Carpenter v.Tavlor. 1 Hilt. (X. Y.) 193; Cromwell r. Stephens, 2 Daly (X. Y.) 23.
What is HOTEL?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Suing Your Landlord: How, When, Why, & Should You Bother?
- Drug Decriminalization Laws Setup For Rehaul Throughout US
- Why Trump’s Lawsuit Tactics Won’t Turn The Election
- What Is Impeachment & How Does It Work, Exactly?
- War Drafts – What You Should Know About the Return of the Draft
- Fake News: History, Laws, & Is It Going To Ruin The Election… Again?
- Privacy Laws: Why It Matters, What To Do, & Important FAQs
- Deportation: Human Rights, FAQ, & What To Do
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA): Limits, Expenses & FAQ
- Census 2020: Everything You Need To Know Before You Say No
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?