An inn ; a public house or tavern ; a house for entertaining strangers ortravelers. St Louis v. Siegrist, 40 Mo. 594; People v. Jones, 54 Barb. (X. Y.) 316; Cromwellv. Stephens, 2 Daly (N. Y.) 19.Synonyms. In law, there is no difference whatever between the terms “hotel,” “inn,”and “tavern.” except that in some states a statutory definition has been given to theword “hotel,” especially with reference to the grant of licenses to sell liquor, as, that it6hall contain a certain number of separate rooms for the entertainment of guests, orthe like. But none of the three terms mentioned will include a boarding house (becausethat is a place kept for the entertainment of permanent boarders, while a hotel or inn isfor travelers and transient guests), nor a lodging house (because the keeper thereofdoes not furnish food for guests, which is one of the requisites of a hotel or inn), nor arestaurant or eating-house, which furnishes food onlv and not lodging. See Martin v.State Ins. Co., 44 X. J. I jaw. 4S5, 43 Am. Rep. 397 ; In re Liquor Licenses, 4 Montg.Co. Law Rep’r (Pa.) 79; Kelly v. Excise Com’rs. 54 How. Prac. (X. Y.) 331: Carpenter v.Tavlor. 1 Hilt. (X. Y.) 193; Cromwell r. Stephens, 2 Daly (X. Y.) 23.
What is HOTEL?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- How Long is a Life Sentence?
- What is Entrapment?
- A Guide to the Types & Classes of Bankruptcy
- A Simple Guide to Medicare vs Medicaid
- What are the Miranda Rights?
- Property Management Law
- How Arbitration Works
- What is the Fourth Amendment?
- How To Start a Sole Proprietorship
- What Does Emancipation Mean?
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- What Can You Do At 18 Legally?
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- Why Do Policemen Touch Your Tail Light When They Pull You Over?
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?