An inn ; a public house or tavern ; a house for entertaining strangers ortravelers. St Louis v. Siegrist, 40 Mo. 594; People v. Jones, 54 Barb. (X. Y.) 316; Cromwellv. Stephens, 2 Daly (N. Y.) 19.Synonyms. In law, there is no difference whatever between the terms “hotel,” “inn,”and “tavern.” except that in some states a statutory definition has been given to theword “hotel,” especially with reference to the grant of licenses to sell liquor, as, that it6hall contain a certain number of separate rooms for the entertainment of guests, orthe like. But none of the three terms mentioned will include a boarding house (becausethat is a place kept for the entertainment of permanent boarders, while a hotel or inn isfor travelers and transient guests), nor a lodging house (because the keeper thereofdoes not furnish food for guests, which is one of the requisites of a hotel or inn), nor arestaurant or eating-house, which furnishes food onlv and not lodging. See Martin v.State Ins. Co., 44 X. J. I jaw. 4S5, 43 Am. Rep. 397 ; In re Liquor Licenses, 4 Montg.Co. Law Rep’r (Pa.) 79; Kelly v. Excise Com’rs. 54 How. Prac. (X. Y.) 331: Carpenter v.Tavlor. 1 Hilt. (X. Y.) 193; Cromwell r. Stephens, 2 Daly (X. Y.) 23.
What is HOTEL?
Enter your email address to stay current on legal news and receive special offers
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Capitalism, Socialism, & Communism Explained In Plain English
- What Is A Government Shutdown & Who Does It Affect?
- Is It A Monopoly? Everything You Ever Wanted To Know
- Breach Of Contract: What It Is, Types, Examples, & Resolving Them
- Plausible Deniability Definition, Examples, & Laws
- Nepotism, Cronyism, & Favoritism: Illegal Or Unethical?
- How To Get A Green Card
- How To Obtain A Criminal Background Check In Pennsylvania
- How To Avoid Probate
- How To Check If A Number Is On The Do Not Call List
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Look Up My Court Date Online
- How Do I Check On My Security Clearance Status?