The act or practice of playing games for stakes or wagers; gambling; theplaying at any game of hazard. An agreement between two or more persons to playtogether at a game of chance for a stake or wager which is to become the property ofthe winner, aud to which all contribute. In re Stewart (D. C.) 21 Fed. 398; People v.Todd, 51 Hun, 440, 4 N. Y. Supp. 25; State v. Shaw, 39 Minn. 153. 39 N. W. 305; Statev. Morgan, 133 N. C. 743, 45 S. E. 1033.Gaming is an agreement between two or more to risk money on a contest or chanceof any kind, where one must be loser and the other gainer. Bell v. State, 5 Sneed (Tenn.) 507.In general, the words “gaming” and “gambling, in statutes, are similar in meaning,and either one comprehends the idea that, by a bet, by chance, by some exercise of skill, orby the transpiring of some event unknown until it occurs, something of value is, as theconclusion of premises agreed, to be transferred from a loser to a winner, withoutwhich latter element there is no gaming or gambling. Bish. St. Crimes,
What is GAMING?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- How To Get an EIN Number
- What is a Credit Freeze?
- The 14th Amendment Explained
- What is the Security Exchange Commission?
- Restitution Law – What it is, How to Avoid it, and Tips on Asking for It
- Should I Freeze My Credit?
- Living Will – The Pros & Cons You Need to Know
- What does it mean to be acquitted?
- Forming an LLC in Missouri
- Double Jeopardy Law
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- What Can You Do At 18 Legally?
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Why Do Policemen Touch Your Tail Light When They Pull You Over?