n. A certain amount of provisionreserved as the rent of a messuage. Spelman.Rent generally which is reserved on a lease; when it was to be paid In money, itwas called “blanclie firmc.” Spelman; 2 Bl. Comm. 42.A term, a lease of lands; a leasehold interest. 2 Bl. Comm. 17; 1 Reeve, Eng. Law,301, note. The land Itself, let to farm or rent. 2 Bl. Comm. 30S.A portion of land used for agricultural purposes, either wholly or in part.The original meaning of the word was “rent,” and by a natural transition it came tomean the land out of which the rent issued.In old English law. A lease of other things than land, as of imposts. There wereseveral of these, such as “the sugar farm,” “the silk farm,” and farms of wines and currents,called “petty farms.” See 2 How. State Tr. 1197-1206.In American law. “Farm” denotes a tract of land devoted in part, at least, to cultivation,for agricultural purposes, without reference to its extent, or to the tenure bywhich it is held. In re Drake (D. C.) 114 Fed. 231; People ex rei. Rogers v. Caldwell, 142111. 434. 32 X. E. 091; Kendall v. Miller, 47 How. Prac. (N. Y.) 448; Com. v. Carmalt, 2Bin. (Pa.) 238.
What is FARM?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- How to Fill Out Form W-9
- Section 42 Housing
- Types of License Classes
- What Can You Do If a Judge is Unfair?
- How to Sue an Apartment Complex
- Is Giuliani Facing Being Disbarred?
- Biden’s Newly-Threatened Impeachment… Wait, What?
- Trump Refusing To Pay Lawyer Rudy Giuliani
- Trump Is – Officially – The First President To Be Impeached Twice
- Trump Plans To Run 2024, But Can He Pardon Himself?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way To Run A Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?