n. A certain amount of provisionreserved as the rent of a messuage. Spelman.Rent generally which is reserved on a lease; when it was to be paid In money, itwas called “blanclie firmc.” Spelman; 2 Bl. Comm. 42.A term, a lease of lands; a leasehold interest. 2 Bl. Comm. 17; 1 Reeve, Eng. Law,301, note. The land Itself, let to farm or rent. 2 Bl. Comm. 30S.A portion of land used for agricultural purposes, either wholly or in part.The original meaning of the word was “rent,” and by a natural transition it came tomean the land out of which the rent issued.In old English law. A lease of other things than land, as of imposts. There wereseveral of these, such as “the sugar farm,” “the silk farm,” and farms of wines and currents,called “petty farms.” See 2 How. State Tr. 1197-1206.In American law. “Farm” denotes a tract of land devoted in part, at least, to cultivation,for agricultural purposes, without reference to its extent, or to the tenure bywhich it is held. In re Drake (D. C.) 114 Fed. 231; People ex rei. Rogers v. Caldwell, 142111. 434. 32 X. E. 091; Kendall v. Miller, 47 How. Prac. (N. Y.) 448; Com. v. Carmalt, 2Bin. (Pa.) 238.
What is FARM?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- What is Racketeering?
- How To Get an EIN Number
- What is a Credit Freeze?
- The 14th Amendment Explained
- What is the Security Exchange Commission?
- Restitution Law – What it is, How to Avoid it, and Tips on Asking for It
- Should I Freeze My Credit?
- Living Will – The Pros & Cons You Need to Know
- What does it mean to be acquitted?
- Forming an LLC in Missouri
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- What Can You Do At 18 Legally?
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Why Do Policemen Touch Your Tail Light When They Pull You Over?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?