n. A certain amount of provisionreserved as the rent of a messuage. Spelman.Rent generally which is reserved on a lease; when it was to be paid In money, itwas called “blanclie firmc.” Spelman; 2 Bl. Comm. 42.A term, a lease of lands; a leasehold interest. 2 Bl. Comm. 17; 1 Reeve, Eng. Law,301, note. The land Itself, let to farm or rent. 2 Bl. Comm. 30S.A portion of land used for agricultural purposes, either wholly or in part.The original meaning of the word was “rent,” and by a natural transition it came tomean the land out of which the rent issued.In old English law. A lease of other things than land, as of imposts. There wereseveral of these, such as “the sugar farm,” “the silk farm,” and farms of wines and currents,called “petty farms.” See 2 How. State Tr. 1197-1206.In American law. “Farm” denotes a tract of land devoted in part, at least, to cultivation,for agricultural purposes, without reference to its extent, or to the tenure bywhich it is held. In re Drake (D. C.) 114 Fed. 231; People ex rei. Rogers v. Caldwell, 142111. 434. 32 X. E. 091; Kendall v. Miller, 47 How. Prac. (N. Y.) 448; Com. v. Carmalt, 2Bin. (Pa.) 238.
What is FARM?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- War Drafts – What You Should Know About the Return of the Draft
- Fake News: History, Laws, & Is It Going To Ruin The Election… Again?
- Privacy Laws: Why It Matters, What To Do, & Important FAQs
- Deportation: Human Rights, FAQ, & What To Do
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA): Limits, Expenses & FAQ
- Census 2020: Everything You Need To Know Before You Say No
- What To Expect With An IRA: Traditional, Roth, SEP, & SIMPLE
- Outdated & Weird Laws You Can Still Be Charged With
- 401(K) Types, Loans, Contribution Limits, & Benefits
- Right To Know Law: Everything You Need To Know
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?