Dispossession by process of law ; the act of depriving a person of thepossession of lands which he has held, in pursuance of the judgment of a court. Reasonerv. Edmundson, 5 Ind. 395; Cowdrey v. Coit, 44 N. Y. 392, 4 Am. Rep. 690; HomeLife Ins. Co. v. Sherman, 46 N. Y. 372.Technically, the dispossession must be by judgment of law; if otherwise, it is an ouster.Eviction implies an entry under paramount title, so as to interfere with the rights ofthe grantee. The object of the party making the entry is immaterial, whether it be totake all or a part of the land itself or merely an incorporeal right. Phrases equivalent inmeaning are “ouster by paramount title,” “entry and disturbance.” “possession under anelder title,” and the like. Mitchell v. Warner, 5 Conn. 497.Eviction is an actual expulsion of the lessee out of all or some part of the demisedpremises. Pendleton v. Dyett, 4 Cow. (N. Y.) 581, 585.In a more popular sense, the term denotes turning a tenant of land out ofpossession, either by re-entry or by legal proceedings, such as an action of ejectment.Sweet.By a loose extension, the term is sometimes applied to the ousting of a person fromthe possession of chattels; but, properly, it applies only to realty.In the civil law. The abandonment which one is obliged to make of a thing, inpursuance of a sentence by which he is condemned to do so. Poth. Contr. Sale. pt. 2, c.1,
What is EVICTION?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Section 42 Housing
- Types of License Classes
- What Can You Do If a Judge is Unfair?
- How to Sue an Apartment Complex
- Is Giuliani Facing Being Disbarred?
- Biden’s Newly-Threatened Impeachment… Wait, What?
- Trump Refusing To Pay Lawyer Rudy Giuliani
- Trump Is – Officially – The First President To Be Impeached Twice
- Trump Plans To Run 2024, But Can He Pardon Himself?
- Will Trump Get Indicted Or Impeached (Round 2)
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way To Run A Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?