Personal estate or property. This word has been held to be more comprehensivethan the word “goods,” as including fixtures, which “goods” will not include.Bank v. Byram, 131 111. 92, 22 N. E. 812.In wills. The word “effects” Is equivalent to “property,” or “worldly substance,” and,if used simpliciter, as in a gift of “all my effects,” will carry the whole personal estate.Ves. Jr. 507; Ward, Log. 209. The addition of the words “real and personal” will extendit so as to embrace the whole of the testator’s real and personal estate. Ho- gan v.Jackson, Cowp. 304; The Aljiena (D. C.) 7 Fed. 301.This Is a word often found In wills, and, being equivalent to “property,” or “worldlysubstance,” its force depends greatly upon the association of the adjectives “real” and”personal.” “Real and personal effects”would embrace the whole estate; but the word “effects” alone must be confined to personal estate simply, unless an intention appears to the contrary. Scliouler, Wills,
What is EFFECTS?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Types of License Classes
- What Can You Do If a Judge is Unfair?
- How to Sue an Apartment Complex
- Is Giuliani Facing Being Disbarred?
- Biden’s Newly-Threatened Impeachment… Wait, What?
- Trump Refusing To Pay Lawyer Rudy Giuliani
- Trump Is – Officially – The First President To Be Impeached Twice
- Trump Plans To Run 2024, But Can He Pardon Himself?
- Will Trump Get Indicted Or Impeached (Round 2)
- What Happened At Capitol Hill: A Blow-By-Blow
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way To Run A Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?