Personal estate or property. This word has been held to be more comprehensivethan the word “goods,” as including fixtures, which “goods” will not include.Bank v. Byram, 131 111. 92, 22 N. E. 812.In wills. The word “effects” Is equivalent to “property,” or “worldly substance,” and,if used simpliciter, as in a gift of “all my effects,” will carry the whole personal estate.Ves. Jr. 507; Ward, Log. 209. The addition of the words “real and personal” will extendit so as to embrace the whole of the testator’s real and personal estate. Ho- gan v.Jackson, Cowp. 304; The Aljiena (D. C.) 7 Fed. 301.This Is a word often found In wills, and, being equivalent to “property,” or “worldlysubstance,” its force depends greatly upon the association of the adjectives “real” and”personal.” “Real and personal effects”would embrace the whole estate; but the word “effects” alone must be confined to personal estate simply, unless an intention appears to the contrary. Scliouler, Wills,
What is EFFECTS?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- How Long is a Life Sentence?
- What is Entrapment?
- A Guide to the Types & Classes of Bankruptcy
- A Simple Guide to Medicare vs Medicaid
- What are the Miranda Rights?
- Property Management Law
- How Arbitration Works
- What is the Fourth Amendment?
- How To Start a Sole Proprietorship
- What Does Emancipation Mean?
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- What Can You Do At 18 Legally?
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- Why Do Policemen Touch Your Tail Light When They Pull You Over?
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?