Personal estate or property. This word has been held to be more comprehensivethan the word “goods,” as including fixtures, which “goods” will not include.Bank v. Byram, 131 111. 92, 22 N. E. 812.In wills. The word “effects” Is equivalent to “property,” or “worldly substance,” and,if used simpliciter, as in a gift of “all my effects,” will carry the whole personal estate.Ves. Jr. 507; Ward, Log. 209. The addition of the words “real and personal” will extendit so as to embrace the whole of the testator’s real and personal estate. Ho- gan v.Jackson, Cowp. 304; The Aljiena (D. C.) 7 Fed. 301.This Is a word often found In wills, and, being equivalent to “property,” or “worldlysubstance,” its force depends greatly upon the association of the adjectives “real” and”personal.” “Real and personal effects”would embrace the whole estate; but the word “effects” alone must be confined to personal estate simply, unless an intention appears to the contrary. Scliouler, Wills,
What is EFFECTS?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Fake News: History, Laws, & Is It Going To Ruin The Election… Again?
- Privacy Laws: Why It Matters, What To Do, & Important FAQs
- Deportation: Human Rights, FAQ, & What To Do
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA): Limits, Expenses & FAQ
- Census 2020: Everything You Need To Know Before You Say No
- What To Expect With An IRA: Traditional, Roth, SEP, & SIMPLE
- Outdated & Weird Laws You Can Still Be Charged With
- 401(K) Types, Loans, Contribution Limits, & Benefits
- Right To Know Law: Everything You Need To Know
- FAQ About The Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA)
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?