In French law. The depositum of the Roman and the deposit of the Englishlaw. It is of two kinds, being either (1) d(p6t simply so called, and which may be eithervoluntary or necessary, and (2) sequcstre, which is a deposit made either under anagreement of the parties, and to abide the event of pending litigation regarding it, or byvirtue of the direction of the court or a judge, pending litigation regarding it. Brown ;Civ. Code La. 2S97.In American law. (1) A railroad freight or passenger station; a place on the line of arailroad where passengers may enter and leave the trains and where freight is depositedfor delivery; but more properly, only a place where the carrier is accustomed to receivemerchandise, deposit it, and keep it ready for transportation or delivery. Maglieev. Transportation Co., 45 N. Y. 520. 6 Am. Bep. 124; Hill v. Railroad Co. (Tex. Civ. App.)75 S. W. 876; Karnes v. Drake, 103 Ky. 134, 44 S. W. 444; Railroad Co. v. Smith, 71Ark. 189, 71 S. W. 947; State v. New- Haven & N. Co., 37 Conn. 163. (2) A place wheremilitary stores or supplies are kept or troops assembled. U. S. v. Caldwell, 19 Wall.2(58, 22 L. Ed. 114.
What is DEPOT?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- What is Racketeering?
- How To Get an EIN Number
- What is a Credit Freeze?
- The 14th Amendment Explained
- What is the Security Exchange Commission?
- Restitution Law – What it is, How to Avoid it, and Tips on Asking for It
- Should I Freeze My Credit?
- Living Will – The Pros & Cons You Need to Know
- What does it mean to be acquitted?
- Forming an LLC in Missouri
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- What Can You Do At 18 Legally?
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Why Do Policemen Touch Your Tail Light When They Pull You Over?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?