Carriers are either common or private. Private carriers are persons who undertake for the transportation in a particular instance only, not making it their vocation, nor holding themselves out to the public as ready to act for all who desire their services. Allen v. Sackrider, 37 X. Y. 341. To bring a person within the description of a common carrier, he must exercise it as a public employment; he must undertake to carry goods for persons generally; and he must hold himself out as ready to transport goods for hire, as a business, not as a casual occupation. Alexander v. Greene, 7 Ilill (N. Y.) 564; Hell v. Pidgeon, (D. C.) 5 Fed. 634; Wyatt v. Irr. Co., 1 Colo. App. 480, 29 Pac. 006. A common carrier may therefore be defined as one who, by virtue of his calling and as a regular business, undertakes for hire to transport persons or commodities from place to place, offering his services to all such as may choose to employ him and pay his charges. Iron Works v. Hurlbut. 158 N. Y. 34. 52 N. E. 005, 70 Am. St. Rep. 432; Dwight v. Brewster. 1 Pick. (Mass.) 53, 11 Am. Dec. 133; Railroad Co. v. Waterbury Button Co.. 24 Conn. 479; Fuller v. Bradley, 25 Pa. 120; Mc- Duffee v. Railroad Co.. 52 N. II. 447. 13 Am. Rep. 72; Piedmont Mfg. Co. v. Railroad Co.. 19 S. C. 304. By statute in several states it is declared that every one who offers to the public to carry persons, property, or messages, excepting only telegraphic messages, is a common carrier of whatever he thus offers to carry. Civ. Code Cal. 5 210S; Civ. Code Mont.
What is COMMON AND PRIVATE CARRIERS?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Suing Your Landlord: How, When, Why, & Should You Bother?
- Drug Decriminalization Laws Setup For Rehaul Throughout US
- Why Trump’s Lawsuit Tactics Won’t Turn The Election
- What Is Impeachment & How Does It Work, Exactly?
- War Drafts – What You Should Know About the Return of the Draft
- Fake News: History, Laws, & Is It Going To Ruin The Election… Again?
- Privacy Laws: Why It Matters, What To Do, & Important FAQs
- Deportation: Human Rights, FAQ, & What To Do
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA): Limits, Expenses & FAQ
- Census 2020: Everything You Need To Know Before You Say No
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?