In mercantile law. The load or lading of a vessel; goods and merchandise put on board a ship to be carried to a certain port. The lading or freight of a ship; the goods, merchandise, or whatever is conveyed in a ship or other merchant vessel. Seamans v. rA)ring, 21 Fed. Cas. 920; Wolcott v. Insurance Co., 4 Pick. (Mass.) 429: Mac.v v. Insurance Co., 9 Mete. (Mass.) 300; Thwing v. Insurance Co., 103 Mass. 401, 4 Am. Rep. 567. A cargo is the loading of a ship or other vessel, the bulk of which is to be ascertained from the capacity of the ship or vessel. The word embraces all that the vessel is capable of carrying. Flanagan v. Demarest, 3 Rob. (N. Y.) 173. The term may be applied in such a sense as to include passengers, as well as freight, but in a technical sense it designates goods only.
What is CARGO?
Enter your email address to stay current on legal news and receive special offers
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Martial Law: Everything You Need To Know In 2020
- W-9s: What It Is, Who They’re For, & How To Fill It Out
- Marijuana: Recreational, Grow, & Medical Laws By State 2020
- Economic Recession VS Depression: Similarities & Differences
- Brexit Explained For Those Who Don’t Live In The UK
- Imperialism Definition, Laws, & History: From Rome To Now
- Capitalism, Socialism, & Communism Explained In Plain English
- What Is A Government Shutdown & Who Does It Affect?
- Is It A Monopoly? Everything You Ever Wanted To Know
- Breach Of Contract: What It Is, Types, Examples, & Resolving Them
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Look Up My Court Date Online