Lat The words “to-wit,” or “that is to say,” so frequently used in pleading, are technically called the “videlicet” or “scilicct;” and when any fact alleged in pleading is preceded by, or accompanied with, these words, such fact is, in the lan- guage of the law, said to be “laid under a videlicet.” The use of the videlicet is to point out, particularize, or render more specific that which has been previously stated in general language only; also to explain that which is doubtful or obscure. Brown. See Stukeley v. Butler, Hob. 171; Gleason v. McVickar, 7 Cow. (N. Y.) 43; Sullivan v. State. 07 .Miss. 346, 7 South. 275; Clark v. Employers’ Liability Assur. Co., 72 Vt. 458, 48 Atl. G39; Com. v. Quinlan, 153 Mass. 483, 27 N. E. 8. Videtnr qni snrdus et mutus ne poet faire alienation. It seems that a deaf and dumb man cannot alienate. Brower v. Fisher, 4 Johns. Ch. (N. Y.) 444; Brooke, Abr. “Eschete,” pi. 4.
What is VIDELICET?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Is Giuliani Facing Being Disbarred?
- Biden’s Newly-Threatened Impeachment… Wait, What?
- Trump Refusing To Pay Lawyer Rudy Giuliani
- Trump Is – Officially – The First President To Be Impeached Twice
- Trump Plans To Run 2024, But Can He Pardon Himself?
- Will Trump Get Indicted Or Impeached (Round 2)
- What Happened At Capitol Hill: A Blow-By-Blow
- Why People Marched On Capitol Hill: A Blow-By-Blow
- Suing Your Landlord: How, When, Why, & Should You Bother?
- Drug Decriminalization Laws Setup For Rehaul Throughout US
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way To Run A Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?