In England, a shop deeper; a small shop-keeper. In the United States, a mechanic or artificer of any kind, whose livelihood depends upon the labor of his hands. Richie v. Mc- Cauley, 4 Pa. 472. “Primarily the words ‘trader’ and ‘tradesman’ mean one who trades, and they have been treated by the courts in many instances as synonymous. But,, in their general application and usage. I think they describe different vocations. By ‘tradesman’ is usually meant a shop-keeper. Such is the definition given the word in Bur- rill’s Law Dictionary. It is used in this sense by Adam Smith. He says, (Wealth of Nations:) ‘A tradesman in London is obliged to hire a whole house in that part of the town where his customers live. His shop is on the ground floor,’ etc. Dr. Johnson gives it the same meaning. and quotes Prior and Goldsmith as authorities.” In re Ragsdale, 7 Biss. 155, Fed. Cas. No. 11,530.
What is TRADESMAN?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Suing Your Landlord: How, When, Why, & Should You Bother?
- Drug Decriminalization Laws Setup For Rehaul Throughout US
- Why Trump’s Lawsuit Tactics Won’t Turn The Election
- What Is Impeachment & How Does It Work, Exactly?
- War Drafts – What You Should Know About the Return of the Draft
- Fake News: History, Laws, & Is It Going To Ruin The Election… Again?
- Privacy Laws: Why It Matters, What To Do, & Important FAQs
- Deportation: Human Rights, FAQ, & What To Do
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA): Limits, Expenses & FAQ
- Census 2020: Everything You Need To Know Before You Say No
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?