In England, a shop deeper; a small shop-keeper. In the United States, a mechanic or artificer of any kind, whose livelihood depends upon the labor of his hands. Richie v. Mc- Cauley, 4 Pa. 472. “Primarily the words ‘trader’ and ‘tradesman’ mean one who trades, and they have been treated by the courts in many instances as synonymous. But,, in their general application and usage. I think they describe different vocations. By ‘tradesman’ is usually meant a shop-keeper. Such is the definition given the word in Bur- rill’s Law Dictionary. It is used in this sense by Adam Smith. He says, (Wealth of Nations:) ‘A tradesman in London is obliged to hire a whole house in that part of the town where his customers live. His shop is on the ground floor,’ etc. Dr. Johnson gives it the same meaning. and quotes Prior and Goldsmith as authorities.” In re Ragsdale, 7 Biss. 155, Fed. Cas. No. 11,530.
What is TRADESMAN?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- How To Get an EIN Number
- What is a Credit Freeze?
- The 14th Amendment Explained
- What is the Security Exchange Commission?
- Restitution Law – What it is, How to Avoid it, and Tips on Asking for It
- Should I Freeze My Credit?
- Living Will – The Pros & Cons You Need to Know
- What does it mean to be acquitted?
- Forming an LLC in Missouri
- Double Jeopardy Law
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- What Can You Do At 18 Legally?
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Why Do Policemen Touch Your Tail Light When They Pull You Over?