A place of entertainment; a house kept up for the accommodation of strangers. Originally, a house for the retailing of liquors to be drunk on the spot Web- ster. The word “tavern,” in a charter provision authorizing municipal authorities to “license and regulate taverns,” includes hotels. “Tavern,” “hotel,” and “public house” are. in this country, used synonymously; and while they entertain the traveling public, and keep guests, and receive compensation therefor, they do not lose their character, though they may not have the privilege of selling liquors. St. Louis v. Siegrist. 40 Mo. 595. And see State v. Ileise, 7 Rich. Law (S. C.) 520; Bonner v. Welborn, 7 Ga. 300; Rafi’erty v. Insurance Co., 18 N. J. Law, 481. 38 Am. Dec. 525; In re Brewster, 39 Misc. Rep. 089. SO N. Y. Supp. 000; Braswell v. Comm., 5 Bush (Kv.) 544: Kelly v. New York, 54 IIow. Prac. (N. Y.) 331.
What is TAVERN?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- How To Get an EIN Number
- What is a Credit Freeze?
- The 14th Amendment Explained
- What is the Security Exchange Commission?
- Restitution Law – What it is, How to Avoid it, and Tips on Asking for It
- Should I Freeze My Credit?
- Living Will – The Pros & Cons You Need to Know
- What does it mean to be acquitted?
- Forming an LLC in Missouri
- Double Jeopardy Law
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- What Can You Do At 18 Legally?
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Why Do Policemen Touch Your Tail Light When They Pull You Over?